Shell Fungus

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Georgia
I need some serious help/advice to treat my Redfoots shell fungus. I treated in July with Betadine once and athletes foot cream for two weeks and kept them on paper towels. I gave it some time and now it seems like it is worse. They live outdoors on top of cypress mulch. Left picture from July, right picture current. I feel so bad and want to do whatever I can to get rid of this! CollageMaker_20181007_175154372.jpegCollageMaker_20181007_175327540.jpegCollageMaker_20181007_175252583.jpegCollageMaker_20181007_175102714.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Fungus on a Redfoot is pretty common.
I use mulch and grass. But I also have areas that are totally dry. Such as the sleeping quarters. And one area that is flat and cement.
(Outdoors enclosure)
Redfoot love being wet. But they must be allowed to dry off.
Treat with the athletes foot cream. The scars will remain for MANY months and might still look active. But active fungus is soft. Like a paste or a pencil eraser. If it is hard or flaky, it's just old injury. The fungus is easy to kill. But hard to keep from happening again without changing the things that caused it. And that's usually enclosure design flaws.
Convert part of your enclosure to a dry area. This should be simple if it is outdoors.

Last edited: