Shell injury

yyuzu_1

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Tortoise rubbed shell on brick wall

I own a sulcata tortoise living in my backyard and just right now I found him with blood (not major bleeding nor is it dripping just visible on the shell) on both sides of his shell. I was wondering if I could put Neosporin on his little wounds to help prevent bacteria/infections entering the shell and to help regenerate the wound faster?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I own a sulcata tortoise living in my backyard and just right now I found him with blood (not major bleeding nor is it dripping just visible on the shell) on both sides of his shell. I was wondering if I could put Neosporin on his little wounds to help prevent bacteria/infections entering the shell and to help regenerate the wound faster?
Yes you can. Also block off or line the abrasive areas with plywood or something similar.

yyuzu_1

Nevada
Yes you can. Also block off or line the abrasive areas with plywood or something similar.
Alright I've took care of that situation and another thing I just noticed... As I was applying Neosporin to his shell I noticed 3 scutes (I'm really not sure what they are called) on his front arm were missing. I did put Neosporin on that too and double checked his whole shell, legs/arms, and head for other injury's or cuts but there weren't other injury's or cuts other then the current ones... Will it grow back or will it be permeant?

The photo below is what I meant to describe; I just didn't know what they were called. And thankfully they weren't the much bigger ones that fell off otherwise he would've been bleeding a bit. Ones that did fall off were I'd say small
1655937924857.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Alright I've took care of that situation and another thing I just noticed... As I was applying Neosporin to his shell I noticed 3 scutes (I'm really not sure what they are called) on his front arm were missing. I did put Neosporin on that too and double checked his whole shell, legs/arms, and head for other injury's or cuts but there weren't other injury's or cuts other then the current ones... Will it grow back or will it be permeant?

The photo below is what I meant to describe; I just didn't know what they were called. And thankfully they weren't the much bigger ones that fell off otherwise he would've been bleeding a bit. Ones that did fall off were I'd say small
View attachment 346346
Those are leg scales and I don't see any missing.

yyuzu_1

Nevada
Those are leg scales and I don't see any missing.
Im sorry that image was meant to reference What I was describing but heres a picture of the missing scales on his arm

Here is what his arm looks like and the missing scales

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220622-155610~2.png
    Screenshot_20220622-155610~2.png
    264 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im sorry that image was meant to reference What I was describing but heres a picture of the missing scales on his arm

Here is what his arm looks like and the missing scales
That could be from trying to climb over a low wall somewhere in the enclosure.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you post some pictures of the whole tortoise and his enclosure in your backyard?