Shell Issues in Baby Tortoise

Tiny Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I titled this thread - "shell issues", but in reality, as a new tortoise owner, I don't really know if these things are issues or not. So, with that being said, there are a couple of things I wanted feedback on about my tortoise's shell. For one thing, his shell is still quite soft. He is only about two months old, so it my be natural, but the bottom of his shell is semi- soft. Also, I have read a lot about shell rot and one of the main causes for the problem is sleeping in wet places, especially for a red foot. I put him in his dry hide at night, but then it occurred to me that he is still sleeping in his wet, "rain forest", enclosure during the day. (He sleeps a lot). Is this okay? I am a little worried, because it's not like a can hang around all day making sure he is sleeping in only dry soil. Finally, as you can see in the picture below, his shell is pretty dirty on the bottom. It does not come of when I try and wipe it with a cloth, nor does it come of when he soaks. Is this the beginning of shell rot? I know that was a lot of info, but I am a first time owner and I am ready to fly to china and find a vet if that's what it will take to keep my little guy healthy. He has had these issues since a got him about a month ago. He came from a reptile show, which might explain some of the problems he may/ may not have. :p
Thank you all for your feed back.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to say about shell rot without seeing a pic.
As for sleeping/living on wet substrate, you need to have the top layer dry, while wetting the under layers. This can be done by putting the warm water into the corners so it goes down and spreads instead of pouring or misting the top layer. For now, stir up the substrate to try and get the wetter top down under the possible dryer bottom. If it's still too wet, add another dry layer of substrate.
Some substrates will stain their skin and shell. This could be the coloration your seeing.
Softness of shell is common with real young ones. If it's barely pliable then it's okay. If it's really squishy, then there's a problem.
A little more about the enclosure will help us until you can get a pic uploaded.
Temps, day, night, cooler end, warner end, basking spot. What type of bulbs/heating are you using. What kind of substrate, diet, and how often do you soak.

Tiny Tortoise

Florida
Thank you for your response. I will change his soil tonight, and get the picture uploaded. His shell is definitely squishy, but how squishy is too squishy? As for the enclosure, he is living inside for now, but I will move him outside once he is a little bigger. I am using organic top soil as a substrate. I have a UVB and a basking light on one end of the enclosure. The day temp on the basking side is 95. The night temp is 76. I put him in his water bowl once a day, and then let him get out or stay if he wants. I feed him spring mix and romaine lettuce, cactus pads, occasional fruit, and very very occasional protein like egg.

Bee62

Germany
I titled this thread - "shell issues", but in reality, as a new tortoise owner, I don't really know if these things are issues or not. So, with that being said, there are a couple of things I wanted feedback on about my tortoise's shell. For one thing, his shell is still quite soft. He is only about two months old, so it my be natural, but the bottom of his shell is semi- soft. Also, I have read a lot about shell rot and one of the main causes for the problem is sleeping in wet places, especially for a red foot. I put him in his dry hide at night, but then it occurred to me that he is still sleeping in his wet, "rain forest", enclosure during the day. (He sleeps a lot). Is this okay? I am a little worried, because it's not like a can hang around all day making sure he is sleeping in only dry soil. Finally, as you can see in the picture below, his shell is pretty dirty on the bottom. It does not come of when I try and wipe it with a cloth, nor does it come of when he soaks. Is this the beginning of shell rot? I know that was a lot of info, but I am a first time owner and I am ready to fly to china and find a vet if that's what it will take to keep my little guy healthy. He has had these issues since a got him about a month ago. He came from a reptile show, which might explain some of the problems he may/ may not have. :p
Thank you all for your feed back.

I don`t think that a baby tortoise of 2 or 3 months can have shell rot, and yes, the shell of a baby is kind a soft. But without pictures it is impossible to say more.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Plastic butter tub lid is a common description of a young tortoise's shell. It should have some give, but should not feel spongy.

Tiny Tortoise

Florida
There's the bottom of his shell.(don't worry, I only flipped him for a second to take that photo).20171011_202756.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
I do not think your tortoise has shell rot. It appears that there is some staining on the bottom shell from the substrate. If you are using coco coir or anything containing peat moss, that is not uncommon. You could probably get some of it off by gently brushing it with a very soft tooth brush (like a child's brush) after the tortoise has soaked for about 15-20 minutes in lukewarm water.