Shell rot or scrapes ??

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Hey everyone , Sheldon has had this for a whole but i thought he had scraped his shell on his terra cotta or something . Is it shell rot or scrapes ? Help me please
ImageUploadedByTortForum1385760016.558896.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Looks like he's been rubbing on something abrasive. Brick or cinderblock? Nothing to worry about.

He also looks like he was or is kept too dry. See the deep ridge between the scutes? That is the start of pyramiding. Is he in an open topped enclosure? Heat lamps in a cool winter room?

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Looks like he's been rubbing on something abrasive. Brick or cinderblock? Nothing to worry about.

He also looks like he was or is kept too dry. See the deep ridge between the scutes? That is the start of pyramiding. Is he in an open topped enclosure? Heat lamps in a cool winter room?

Probably his terra cotta and yeah the top has square holes in it and yeah I'm trying to keep it more humid , thats why I was asking about the humid hide in another thread . Thank you ! If i keep his enclosure damp and humid , will the pyramiding stop from getting to where you can see it ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its not just humidity, although that plays a big part. You also need to soak daily, shell spray and have a proper humid hide. Diet, exercise and sunshine will complete the package and give you a healthy tortoise.

I think you are on the borderline of fighting existing pyramiding vs. preventing it in the first place. It is much harder to fight it than prevent it. With such a little baby, and very little "damage" done, you should have a fairly easy time stopping the trend.

This is all spelled out much more elaborately in the care sheet, but do not forget to keep temps up above 80 day and night with all the moisture and humidity.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79895.html

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Its not just humidity, although that plays a big part. You also need to soak daily, shell spray and have a proper humid hide. Diet, exercise and sunshine will complete the package and give you a healthy tortoise.

I think you are on the borderline of fighting existing pyramiding vs. preventing it in the first place. It is much harder to fight it than prevent it. With such a little baby, and very little "damage" done, you should have a fairly easy time stopping the trend.

This is all spelled out much more elaborately in the care sheet, but do not forget to keep temps up above 80 day and night with all the moisture and humidity.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79895.html

Oh i always give him a soak :) i will start spraying down his shell but I was worried he would get scared of me again :( he gets a well varied diet and goes outside everyday for some sunshine and grass/weeds . Gonna get a humid hide today , thank you ! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For the past few years I have raised literally hundreds of brand new hatchlings. Some bought and some hatched myself. A percentage of them run for the hills when I spray and another percentage just sit there. They need it. Its good for them. So I don't worry about if they like it or not. It rains in the wild and there is no one to get scared of there. In time ALL of them desensitize to it and by the time they are two or three years old they seek it out and seem to enjoy it.

Ashley_Sheldon

5 Year Member
Tom said:
For the past few years I have raised literally hundreds of brand new hatchlings. Some bought and some hatched myself. A percentage of them run for the hills when I spray and another percentage just sit there. They need it. Its good for them. So I don't worry about if they like it or not. It rains in the wild and there is no one to get scared of there. In time ALL of them desensitize to it and by the time they are two or three years old they seek it out and seem to enjoy it.

Ok thanks this is great info ! :)