Shell Rot?

Tutty

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa
Hi again all.
This beaut was found in domeones garden, way... way... waaaay from home. Looks like shell rot to me?

20170302_175050.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like a red ear slider with some shell damage, but I don't think it's rot.

Tutty

South Africa
Looks like a red ear slider with some shell damage, but I don't think it's rot.
Thank you for that,
I was worried about the soft spots. We dont get many terrapins coming in and it was such a suprise to find an "alien". Obviously was a pet once. Beautiful markings.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks to me as if he's been dragged, scraping the carapace on hard ground. Or maybe a large carnivore's scraping teeth???

They are semi aquatic, spending most of the time in water, only coming out to lay eggs, wander to a new pond, look for a mate, or sit in the sun. Is there a pond or river, etc. nearby?

Tutty

South Africa
It looks to me as if he's been dragged, scraping the carapace on hard ground. Or maybe a large carnivore's scraping teeth???

They are semi aquatic, spending most of the time in water, only coming out to lay eggs, wander to a new pond, look for a mate, or sit in the sun. Is there a pond or river, etc. nearby?
These guys are exotic and illegal in RSA. Despite that pet shops do sell them. I suppose some folk dump them in the dams and rivers when they get too big.