Shell rot?

Justincl

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
So i've recently realized that there are different coloured whiteish spots on my baby's plastron.
By any chance is this shellrot? Also if so i am planning on buying an antiseptic ointment to treat it but i dont know whether after applying it and soaking my baby and in a situation if she ingests it will it do any harm? I have posted the ointment below

Attachments

• 20210306_204927.jpg
    20210306_204927.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
  • 20210306_205020.jpg
    20210306_205020.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20210306-205754_Tokopedia.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-205754_Tokopedia.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20210306-205847_Tokopedia.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-205847_Tokopedia.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 72

Justincl

Jakarta
I forgot to highlight the spots sorry

Attachments

• 20210306_205955.jpg
    20210306_205955.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • 20210306_210010.jpg
    20210306_210010.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Your baby Sucata looks fine, just a little guy. From what I've read about Sucata's is that don't get shell rot. I sure Tom will ring in soon.

Justincl

Jakarta
I forgot this one as well

Attachments

• 20210306_211940.jpg
    20210306_211940.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48

Justincl

Jakarta
Your baby Sucata looks fine, just a little guy. From what I've read about Sucata's is that don't get shell rot. I sure Tom will ring in soon.
Thanks for the info :) when i try to use a toothbrush it doesnt seem to scrub off but what i have noticed is the middle part of the plastron hasnt fully harden and has a soft or flexible texture at different times. I spak 2x daily with warm water as well

Justincl

Jakarta
I don't see anything that looks like shell fungus but what's more concerning is it looks like all the scales are coming off your tortoises legs?
Yea ive been worried about it as well. When i asked the seller, he said that it was because i've been soaking daily but i dont know if its true or not????

Justincl

Jakarta
So what are those spots??? Also if i may ask how many hours of sunbathing for my little guy? Her growth has in fact slowed bc on december a bladder stone came out as the seller apparently kept her dry

Justincl

Jakarta
I don't see anything that looks like shell fungus but what's more concerning is it looks like all the scales are coming off your tortoises legs?
I forgot to mention i did see a few tiny white bugs i think in my enclosure could those be mites by any chance?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I forgot to mention i did see a few tiny white bugs i think in my enclosure could those be mites by any chance?
They're more than likely Springtails.
Especially if you saw them in the substrate and not on the tortoise.
They're harmless

zovick

10 Year Member!
As Toddrickfl1 said, the fact that many scales are falling off the legs is a lot more concerning than those minimal white areas on the plastron which to me do not appear to be shell rot. I do not believe that scale loss on the legs has anything to do with soaking the tortoise unless you are possibly soaking it for hours and hours every day. The loss of scales is more likely due to some type of systemic infectious process (which might also account for the spots you think may be shell rot).

Have you noticed any little yellow bumps anywhere on the tortoise? It usually occurs in the skin of the neck or upper part of the front legs. The loss of those leg scales could be a sign that your tortoise has Austwickia chelonae (the yellow spot disease).

Check the neck and upper parts of the legs for those bumps and let us know if you find any.

Justincl

Jakarta
As Toddrickfl1 said, the fact that many scales are falling off the legs is a lot more concerning than those minimal white areas on the plastron which to me do not appear to be shell rot. I do not believe that scale loss on the legs has anything to do with soaking the tortoise unless you are possibly soaking it for hours and hours every day. The loss of scales is more likely due to some type of systemic infectious process (which might also account for the spots you think may be shell rot).

Have you noticed any little yellow bumps anywhere on the tortoise? It usually occurs in the skin of the neck or upper part of the front legs. The loss of those leg scales could be a sign that your tortoise has Austwickia chelonae (the yellow spot disease).

Check the neck and upper parts of the legs for those bumps and let us know if you find any.
I've checked everywhere and i dont seem to see any yellow spots but i did in fact soak 3x a day 1hour each back then because my little guy had a bladder stone

Justincl

Jakarta
I have observed that the skin on her legs are starting to turn yellow so i guess i just need to wait until she gets her scales back

Justincl

Jakarta

By any chance is digging a factor as well? As back then i decided to give her some coco husk as substrate and i've started to notice the whiteish skin after i put in the substrate could it be because from digging the substrate her scales came off?

zovick

10 Year Member!
By any chance is digging a factor as well? As back then i decided to give her some coco husk as substrate and i've started to notice the whiteish skin after i put in the substrate could it be because from digging the substrate her scales came off?
Digging is what sulcatas do in the wild. They don't lose their leg scales from digging. Maybe it is due to the extreme length of the soaking you were doing, but I cannot say for sure.

Soaking for 3 hours a day is far too much. Once a day for 20 minutes would be enough the keep the tortoise well-hydrated and prevent bladder stones.

Justincl

Jakarta
Digging is what sulcatas do in the wild. They don't lose their leg scales from digging. Maybe it is due to the extreme length of the soaking you were doing, but I cannot say for sure.

Soaking for 3 hours a day is far too much. Once a day for 20 minutes would be enough the keep the tortoise well-hydrated and prevent bladder stones.
Yea i did that before because she had a bladder stone but after it came out i returned to normal soaking. 2x a day 20 to 30 minutes each

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yea i did that before because she had a bladder stone but after it came out i returned to normal soaking. 2x a day 20 to 30 minutes each
Twice a day is still overkill for soaking a sulcata. Once a day is plenty.

Justincl

Jakarta
Twice a day is still overkill for soaking a sulcata. Once a day is plenty.
I usually do 2x a day bc my baby often times won't drink on the 1st soak but on the second soak she'll drink but past 2 days i havent seen a gulp from her neck she didnt even bother to stick her head in the water :/

zovick

10 Year Member!
I usually do 2x a day bc my baby often times won't drink on the 1st soak but on the second soak she'll drink but past 2 days i havent seen a gulp from her neck she didnt even bother to stick her head in the water :/
It isn't that hard to understand. The tortoise isn't drinking because it isn't thirsty. It is hydrated to the max from all the soaking you do, so it doesn't want or need to drink every time you stick it in water.

FYI, I kept multiple sulcatas for 8-10 years and probably only saw any of them drink water about 3-4 times total over that entire period.