She's improving!!!!!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I just wanted to start a separate thread about Jacques, now that the panic is over.:)

For people who might not know, Jacques is my mud turtle who had a near-drowning accident on Dec 8th. Although she's still not eating at all 10 days after the accident, yesterday and today she has been much more active than she had been! Instead of just sitting on top of plastic plants under her heat light, looking spaced out, she's been much more alert! She moves her head and watches us, and she is moving around her tank a bit! She still spaces out some, but not nearly like she had been.
So I really do think she's on the mend!:)

When she starts eating again, I'll feel like she's really in the clear!!!! :D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't remember. . . have you tried live food?

Yes. I’ve got a bunch of ghost shrimp in there with her. They swim right up to her face! She’ll turn an eye to look at them but doesn’t otherwise react.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
:eek: JACQUES CAUGHT A GHOST SHRIMP!!!!!!
On the one hand, i feel bad for the shrimp- I am beginning to see that they are very interesting creatures themselves. It also didn't have much chance: I was changing the water in the tank, so the water was low, and all the shrimp were gathered in one end of the tank to avoid being caught up in the siphon. Jacques was down at that end too, so it was easy for her to grab one.

On the OTHER hand, though, their original purpose for being in the tank was to stimulate Jacques to want to hunt and eat after her near-drowning incident.
Any shrimp that are still around when I move Jacques to her bigger tank will get to stay in the old tank along with new cherry shrimp!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
On the one hand, i feel bad for the shrimp- I am beginning to see that they are very interesting creatures themselves. It also didn't have much chance: I was changing the water in the tank, so the water was low, and all the shrimp were gathered in one end of the tank to avoid being caught up in the siphon. Jacques was down at that end too, so it was easy for her to grab one.

On the OTHER hand, though, their original purpose for being in the tank was to stimulate Jacques to want to hunt and eat after her near-drowning incident.
Any shrimp that are still around when I move Jacques to her bigger tank will get to stay in the old tank along with new cherry shrimp!
Clever clever Jacques. Well done.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

It was a worthy sacrifice for the greater good.
Bless you ghost shrimp, you will not be forgotten.
Well done, Jacques!

Destben

Kansas

Yay!! I’m so glad she’s eating!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Although Jacques ate 3 big bites of catfish last Saturday (today is Thursday) she hadn't eaten anything since then.
BUT I saw her bite a chunk off her cuttlebone and swallow it, which she hadn't done since the day of the accident! :D
Then this morning she ate 4 more big bites of catfish! :D:D:D:D:D
So she's eating about every 5 days, now. But that's OK: at least she's eating and acting more normal!!!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Although Jacques ate 3 big bites of catfish last Saturday (today is Thursday) she hadn't eaten anything since then.
BUT I saw her bite a chunk off her cuttlebone and swallow it, which she hadn't done since the day of the accident! :D
Then this morning she ate 4 more big bites of catfish! :D:D:D:D:D
So she's eating about every 5 days, now. But that's OK: at least she's eating and acting more normal!!!
So so happy for you.