She's Not Pooping

MStacy

5 Year Member
I feel like I have so many questions. I have a 7 month old Sulcata. 1st off she hasn't pooped since I've gotten her. It's been 4 1/2 days. She's eating okay, but I'm not exactly sure how much a tiny 2 1/2 inch tortoise should eat. Do I give her food everyday? So far I've been sitting fresh grass, weeds, lettuce out for her daily.

Also, the top of her head seems really dry and flaky and so does her tail. I'm doing daily soaks for 20 minutes in warm water and we usually do it outside so she can get some sun. Yesterday I rubbed her gently with a soft toothbrush and it was better for a while, this morning she looks all dried out again.

Thanks for any help.

Also, I'm terrified she's going to die because she's so small and she's asleep like 90% of the time.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Have you checked your lighting wattage and type and temperatures?
She must be at least 80 degrees to digest her food and she needs humidity.
Don't worry about the sleeping. It's 100% normal, can you post a photo of the skin so that we can make sure it's not a burn or something else?

MStacy

5 Year Member
I have 100 watt MVB for her spot lamp and I have a CHE in there. I'm waiting on my temp/humidity gauge. Should be in today. I'm making sure the mulch and moss is damp and covering the terrarium with foil. I'm also doing a soak for her every day.

MStacy

5 Year Member
Dry skin over her eyes.

Attachments

• IMG_20150803_201234141_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150803_201234141_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20150803_175219098_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150803_175219098_HDR.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Soaking should help with the dry skin. Is that sand in your substrate? If so, you should remove it because it can be dangerous to your tort. Coco coir, orchid bark, and cypress mulch are much safer and will help with your humidity. You should be feeding her everyday. Have you read the care sheets in the sulcata section?How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0. Read this for good info on what your tort should be eating http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html. As ZEROPILOT said, your temps could be big factor in why your baby isn't pooping.