Not eating

Sara G.

Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Do you use a CHE at night? If your house has been getting this cold and you were unaware of it, then you're definitely going to need a heat source at night for your tort.

Court562

I have two lights on her currently, and no she's been sluggish not eating much and her eyes since I got her. The vet that I went too last night said she's alive but barely. They admitted antibiotics and recommend force feeding.

Court562

I've been learning as I go but I hope I'm not too late. Is being stiff inside her shell, and her shell starting to turn darker extremely bad? It's to the point that if I slightly move her arm to touch her head, her head won't move at all. I'm questioning if she's alive or not. Vet said last night we are close to the end but she's not sure. I have her soaking in pedialight currently.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
This really doesn't sound good. It sounds like the tortoise was ill when you brought it home. Allowing a sick tortoise to get cold over night prevents them from being able to fight off illness. Beyond keeping it warm and hydrated, you just need to wait now. I am sorry, a good outcome is not likely here (but tortoises do occasionally come back from 'death bed' states).

Court562

Oh man she can't die. This is not fair, I'm an experience reptile keeper. I've had 5 bearded dragons, three crested geckos and a chameleon before my tortoise and they all lived just fine. I'm heart broken.....

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Tortoises need to be started off right in order to thrive. It starts with the breeder.
But tortoises, especially hatchlings, are delicate creatures.
I'm sorry you're going through this. This is the most extreme version of a learning experience sadly.

Court562

Breeder is trying to replace her. They agree she might of been sick. According to the breeder, one other tortoise has an eye infection from the same clutch. All others are healthy. Vet said she's been sick since birth.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Breeder is trying to replace her. They agree she might of been sick. According to the breeder, one other tortoise has an eye infection from the same clutch. All others are healthy. Vet said she's been sick since birth.
I wouldn't get another from that breeder. He clearly doesn't have healthy reptiles. If you want another, why not get one from the forum. That way you know that they have been started the very best way possible.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am really sorry to hear this :(

Part of me is saying get a refund and find another breeder.

Kori5

I'n so sorry. I hope you can find peace knowing you did everything for her. She was very sick when she came to you.

Court562

He's not offering me a refund and I don't want to have to pay for another one.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I would just hate to see you get another baby and grow attached to it and have to go through the same thing. If one of the breeders babies wasn't doing well, I get the feeling that the others likely aren't doing well either. Usually it's not a fluke or a situation where the baby "just wasn't meant to survive." That doesn't happen. If all the eggs are incubated the same way and if the babies are all raised the same way then there should be no reason for all the babies to survive and do well.

Court562

I agree with you and appreciate the looking out. The way it sits, either he replaces her, or we don't get anything else. The breeder stated that two including mine were sick and the rest are thriving. How would I get a refund if it was bought at a pet expo and was purchased without a return policy? My husband is not willing to pay for another one period.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I agree with you and appreciate the looking out. The way it sits, either he replaces her, or we don't get anything else. The breeder stated that two including mine were sick and the rest are thriving. How would I get a refund if it was bought at a pet expo and was purchased without a return policy? My husband is not willing to pay for another one period.
If he knew it was sick, then why did he sell it? I wouldn't trust this guy.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
A refund is very unlikely since the baby had been in your care for a month already. It's very kind for the breeder to offer a replacement hatchling. I would be wary of accepting one though given that yours was sold with sickly, closed eyes (a warning sign a watchful breeder would be aware of).

If you do get another one, you need to make sure your care is perfect from the start because this baby might be coming to you with underlying issues too.