Sulcata Tortoise not eating!

Brittneysmithhh

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I have a little under two year old sulcata tortoise that I've kept in a glass terrarium enclosure the majority of her life. As she gets bigger I provide larger enclosures. 3-4 weeks ago I got a very large enclosure for her made out of wood. A week and a half after living inside her enclosure I noticed she stopped eating (and she typically LOVES her fresh veggies). I immediately did research to learn that her new enclosure might've contained cedar wood. I took her out of it as soon as I found out and she's been back inside a glass terrarium. But she still has not eaten and its been over a week. I'm not sure if it was the greens she ate? (mustard and turnip greens were the last she ate, but she usually enjoys them) I soak her every other day or two and recently during her soaks it appears as if she uses the water to cough something out (she even coughed up a very tiny piece of her greens on one occasion). I'm starting to get extremely worried so i'm hoping to get someones opinion before i refer to the reptile vets! Anything helps!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a little under two year old sulcata tortoise that I've kept in a glass terrarium enclosure the majority of her life. As she gets bigger I provide larger enclosures. 3-4 weeks ago I got a very large enclosure for her made out of wood. A week and a half after living inside her enclosure I noticed she stopped eating (and she typically LOVES her fresh veggies). I immediately did research to learn that her new enclosure might've contained cedar wood. I took her out of it as soon as I found out and she's been back inside a glass terrarium. But she still has not eaten and its been over a week. I'm not sure if it was the greens she ate? (mustard and turnip greens were the last she ate, but she usually enjoys them) I soak her every other day or two and recently during her soaks it appears as if she uses the water to cough something out (she even coughed up a very tiny piece of her greens on one occasion). I'm starting to get extremely worried so i'm hoping to get someones opinion before i refer to the reptile vets! Anything helps!
What are your four temps and what equipment are you using to maintain them?

Have you seen this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He may have gotten too cold, clear down to his inner core, in the larger enclosure. If their inner core is cooler than 80-85°F they won't eat because the food can't digest at a cooler temperature and would just sit in his stomach and rot.