shipping nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Have you contacted them and let it be known that there is a live animal in there? That way they could move it into a nice cool place since it has a warming packet I would mainly be concerned about overheating, they can survive the cold a lot better than they can the heat.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
dmmj said:
Have you contacted them and let it be known that there is a live animal in there? That way they could move it into a nice cool place since it has a warming packet I would mainly be concerned about overheating, they can survive the cold a lot better than they can the heat.

Oh yes - I called right away this morning and let them know that I have a live tortoise being shipped, gave them the tracking number, and also let them know that she had a heat pack on her and should be placed in a cool place. They said they sent a message out to let them know. I am really happy to hear that UPS is known for taking good care of the animals, that is comforting. Thank you all. Still no update, I am assuming she should be shipping out tonight. Now I just hope the delay does not put her in the middle of the severe storms in Kentucky. This is the first time I had anything live shipped to me other than some quail eggs when I was young. I have to say, not so sure I will ever do this again.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
TortieLuver said:
Now is the best time of year though to have this happen so at least you have that on your side. Also, the majority of breeders/shippers go with UPS because problems like this are so minimal and when they do happen, UPS takes good care of them while in their care.

I've always had good luck with UPS, but "Ship Your Reptiles" has now partnered with FedEx. I hope for the same results there. I think they're an equal carrier.....in my area anyway.

Good luck by the way!

FLVenom

5 Year Member
South Florida
I wouldn't worry. I'm sure all will be fine. I had two baby Golden Greeks sent Priority overnight via FedEx and were suppose to arrive at 10:30am today. The storms last night in Memphis delayed the delivery and they didn't arrive till 1:15 in the heat of the day, which here in S. FL it's already the upper 80's. They arrived fine and ate within minutes after being soaked.

On a side note, a year ago in December, I was exporting some venomous snakes to a friend in South Africa via Delta Airlines. After being cleared by US Customs and US Fish and Wildlife in Miami, they departed and left for Atlanta and then were suppose to be on their way to South Africa. Well, Delta LOST a box full of venomous snakes for two days! Atlanta kept saying they got on the correct flights and what not (which they didn't) and they were shipped. Well, some idiot in Atlanta didn't mantifest them to the correct flights and they got pushed aside. Suffice to say, they all made in perfect condition.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Heat packs are just fine this time of year. If it was packed well inside an insulated box, it will be fine. Just because the package was stuck in AZ does not mean it was in the heat of the sun. I am sure your little one will be fine. It is stressful though, we have had a similar situation occur with a happy ending.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
As I feared the delay in Arizona has put her in the middle of the severe storms in Kentucky, so she has been delayed another day. Another day of no sleep :(

As for the other things going on - My daughter seems to be handling the death of her classmate well (or as well as can be expected). I am not looking forward to the funeral however, that is ALWAYS a hard day.

My dad will be having the cancer removed mid May. They found a couple more questionable spots so sent biopsies in of them.

Thank you all for your thoughts and words of encouragement. I am feeling more confident that she will arrive okay. I have fresh greens and a jar of baby squash all ready.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( When I saw your had posted this morning, I had hoped it was to tell us he arrived safely. Sorry your going to have yet another day of worry. Good thoughts your way and here's hoping the weather gets better, fingers crossed. :cool:

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Jacqui said:
:( When I saw your had posted this morning, I had hoped it was to tell us he arrived safely. Sorry your going to have yet another day of worry. Good thoughts your way and here's hoping the weather gets better, fingers crossed. :cool:

Thank you! I checked the weather outlook and it looks like it should be clearing up by morning - hopefully in time for the flight out.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jessica I am so sorry you have to wait another day :(. I keep my fingers crossed that you will receive your little one tomorrow morning.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
So sorry to hear what's been going on in your personal life...I will be praying for your daughter and father, as well as the rest of your family. Yes, I have been advised as well that the thunderstorms in Kentucky are delaying all the packages. Accuweather looks like it will be clearing up though and temps aren't that cold today there.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hey Jessica...they are now flying and moving packages out of Kentucky from the main hub over the past couple hours. It might arrive in your city tonight and you could go to that hub and pickup tonight. I would contact your local hub and see if your package has arrived. They will hold it for you under the circumstances so it won't have to stay in the box another night.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
TortieLuver said:
Hey Jessica...they are now flying and moving packages out of Kentucky from the main hub over the past couple hours. It might arrive in your city tonight and you could go to that hub and pickup tonight. I would contact your local hub and see if your package has arrived. They will hold it for you under the circumstances so it won't have to stay in the box another night.

Great info!

I can't even imagine the anxiety you must be feeling right now!! It will be such a relief when the little one finally arrives. She'll be all rested and ready to explore her new digs when she gets HOME! :)
...I hope you post pics tomorrow ;)

So sorry to hear about the other struggles in your life right now. *hugs*

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
She is here!!!!!! She did not get into Wisconsin until 3:30 this morning. She was scanned into Oak Creek (about 2 1/2 hours from me) I got a call from Oshkosh that she was there at about 7:55am. I was just leaving to get there when they called, since they did not open until 8:30. I took my mom along to look in the package first, boy was that an emotional time. She barely moved at first, was pretty cold... could have used that heat pack then... lol. I put her in my coat and held my open hand over her to warm her up. Cranked the heat in the car to 80 and about 10 min into the ride she was squirming and trying to walk all over :) She is soooooooo beautiful, even more beautiful in person than the pictures. Keith, you did an excellent job raising her and packaging her for the trip. Thank you so much, I know how worried you were also with all the delays. She is here and seems to be doing fine. Gave her a squash warm water soak for about 1/2 hr then put her in her new enclosure, where she took off and did a lap. Boy can she move! She then found her hide and burrowed in. Here are some pics (not the greatest but will try and get better ones later onces she is settled in):

004-1.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

005-2.jpg

Thanks everyone for keeping me sane during the last couple days. :D

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Great to see all is well. I hope you have demanded a partial refund from UPS. You paid for overnight, but didn't get it.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
yagyujubei said:
Great to see all is well. I hope you have demanded a partial refund from UPS. You paid for overnight, but didn't get it.

Yes I will be doing that.

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
Wow great ta hear i read through all this yesterday!I had just the opposite happen to me though,my little guy arrived a day earlier than he was supposed to.It was 38 degrees outside no heat packs and i was not home for another 6 hours he sat on my porch outside but everything worked out for me!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Congrats Jessica :D I am so happy she is safe and sound, she is beautiful and perfect! I love her enclosure, you made her a tortoise paradise!

Status
Not open for further replies.