Should I be offended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
My husband got me Turtle and Tortoise care for Dummies for Christmas. WTH!!!!!!! Why is it that I listen to him talk about everything about every bussiness he works at every employee he has a problem with,over the last 15 years I have learned about goverment contracting, UAVs, the electrical union, the electical bussiness, and now I am learning about freaking dry wall yet his eyes glaze over if I talk about torts. Okay I vented and I feel better, but he should know I don't need that book I have TFO :)
I also got cute PJs :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Even with my experience I bought that book for myself. You can't have too many tortoise books...Merry Christmas!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
You'd be surprized what you can learn from ANY of those "...for Dummies" books! Sometimes the Basics are alot more complicated than most think!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I have been afaid of out of date info with books. So you think the Dummies book is okay?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I wouldnt mind having one of them books myself just to see what is in it, but i havent found one local yet.. I wouldnt be offended by it.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
No I am not now that I think about it. He was really trying to think of something I would like. And this is his way of being supportive with what he thinks is a wierd hooby :). I am blessed. He is a good husband!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yeah, that's pretty much it. It is a very weird, or should I say, 'specialized' hobby.
But we love it.
Just think, how proud you will be when you realize that you could have written that book, lol!

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
lol, i have bought just about every turtle or tortoise book that is sold in the pet stores, though 90% is for very beginnners but still enjoy the readings

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
:), O Gosh' I see your point. He probably ment well, lol. Good to vent....

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Heck, it was probably the ONLY tortoise care book he could find! Give him a big hug for trying.

Buying ANYONE with a special hobby, from woodworking to golf to salt-water fish to knitting, something in their hobby area is a minefield- they probably already have all the easy-to-find stuff and the buyer rarely knows how to sort out the good stuff from the junk.

Even if you end up hating it, you can easily return or sell it, so no biggie!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wanna know when they are going to come out with a series of "How To..." books for "Intelligent Peolple..." instead of constantly catering to all the "dummies".

... so discriminatory, ya' know? Non-dummies like to read and learn too.:D

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Ya thats good Tom.

The poor guy tried again. I went to the local feed/pet store Saturday to get a new UV bulb and they were closed. Well he suprised me yesterday with a ceramic heat bulb. He was close but not quite what I need :). The bad part is he bought it in Point Loma which is about an hour away, so not worth taking back. Oh well he gets credit for trying.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just remember, your never alone. Men (sorry TFO male members) every where are the same. They try, just never seem to get it right. They are the ones that made up the term "it's the thought that counts". Gotta love em:D

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Hey - going slightly off topic, but ALL husbands get it wrong occasionally, he tried to find you something relating to a subject you love... last year my hubby did this:

He goes out at around 5pm, doesnt say where he is going, this is the day before my birthday... comes back about an hour later, huge grin on his face - "sweetie I bought you something" so out I go to the car and find.....

A new Dyson vacuum cleaner....

Now he thought he was being helpful, as mine had broken the week before. I was very calm, not pointing out that perhaps a bl**dy dyson was not the kind of romantic present I had in mind, and I took it inside, thinking positive thoughts all the time..

Then I turn my back and find he has followed me in with the new laptop he bought for himself!!!! All kind thoughts went straight out the window I can tell you!!

I would have loved a tortoise book, no matter what level. I refused to use the Dyson, telling anyone who asked that "it was my birthday present" so it has to be kept special....

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Bubbles- Ah, men, right? We are so damned endearing, aren't we?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Your husband sounds really cute:). At least he is trying!!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Sometimes it just takes time...for my first birthday, prior to marriage, we had a bunch of folks over, a little picnic, and my hubby was so happy at what he bought me...just like Bubbles above,a small vacuum, a hand held Dirt Devil!! I was flabbergasted and in front of everyone... Well. I got excited and said 'Oh, I can use this on the horses!!'
That was 1986..
this year I got 7000 lbs of trap rock and a few more stall mats to make my little 4 stall barn have a level floor and mats throughout!!It took 2 years and about 5 times that in gravel, but now it's done!
(Course we had to wheelbarrow in all that gravel, but man was that the best present!!) Almost as exciting and my Hoof Jack!!) (Another horsey product)
So have faith, it may take sometime, but they usually pick up on those subtle hints!! Like 'what the hell am I going to do with this?",as I open some piece of jewelry!!Sorry I know you tried..
NAy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My wife actually asked for a vacuum one year. I told her hat I could not buy her an appliance for housework as a gift, but she insisted. I bought it for her along with a couple other things, but she was most excited about the vacuum. She asked for big cooking pots this year. Who am I to argue?

Status
Not open for further replies.