Should I get this Hermann's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Ellen

5 Year Member
I just saw a 5" Hermann's for sale in my area, which is rare if ever. What should I look for when/if I go see him? The owner says he's too active for his other tortoise and thinks he'd be happier in another home. I'm not sure if that means he's trying to breed with it or not. I had wanted a female because I understand that males tend to show their male parts. Would this be a problem since I'd be showing him to students in a classroom? I've never seen box turtles do this, so is it more of a male tortoise thing? I'd post a picture but I don't know how to go about doing it. My computer skills are limited. Thanks and I'm anxious to read your replies.

Mary Ellen

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Males do "show off" occasionally, but not all that often...how old are your students?

I teach elementary school age students. I did talk to the owner of the Hermann's that's for sale and he said the Hermann's is trying to mount the other tortoise, so I'm some what cautious about getting him. He did get him a year ago from a local pet shop.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you show the kids the tortoise while it is in a container of some sort, and DON'T pick it up, chances are good the male parts will stay where they belong. Hermann's tortoises are beautiful tortoises. The kids would certainly enjoy seeing him. If it were me, I'd get it.

hermannsully

5 Year Member
i have 3 Hermanns and none of mine have ever shown there parts other than when mating.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If he will be housed a lone, it sounds like he already has a great personality for the kids. And yes box turtles will occasionally show their stuff too.

Mary Ellen

5 Year Member
Mary Ellen said:
I just saw a 5" Hermann's for sale in my area, which is rare if ever. What should I look for when/if I go see him? The owner says he's too active for his other tortoise and thinks he'd be happier in another home. I'm not sure if that means he's trying to breed with it or not. I had wanted a female because I understand that males tend to show their male parts. Would this be a problem since I'd be showing him to students in a classroom? I've never seen box turtles do this, so is it more of a male tortoise thing? I'd post a picture but I don't know how to go about doing it. My computer skills are limited. Thanks and I'm anxious to read your replies.

The top of his 5" shell looks like it might be pyramiding. Not sure if that is the right word to use or not. Should the top of his shell be smooth and if it isn't is that a bad sign? How does one prevent this from happening? I still haven't seen him yet, just pictures. I plan on going to see him tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes it should be pretty smooth, but being pyramid does not mean he's not still a good tortoise. It just means his environment has not been done correctly. It could have been a wrong diet, not enough humidity, or not enough room for exercising for instance. You will not be able to correct it, but with proper care the new growth will come in like it should and the pyramiding will look like less.

Status
Not open for further replies.