Should i hibernate my tortoise?

TacoTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Capital of California
Do i need to hibernate my Russian tortoise? Lots of people say you have to, and some say its not required. Im kind of confused. Also if you could tell me how to hibernate a tortoise that would help a lot.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
No you do not need to. And it is highly recommended that you don't do it the first year you have it to make sure it is healthy. there are several threads on here that discuss it. I don't do it because quite frankly it scares me. To me it is not worth the risk. At least not at this time and not until I do a lot more research. I may never hibernate my tortoise. But she definitely does slow down in the winter so I keep the lights on 14 hours a day and make sure the enclosure stays warm until I can get her back outside in the spring.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Not only is it not necessary, as said above, it is not recommended the first year or if any signs of illness. It requires a great deal of research and preparation.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It is also not the right time of year, I see that you live in California. The tortoises would start waking up soon. As the weather gets warmer your tortoise will not want to hibernate. So it's not something you have to worry about for a while even if you do decide to hibernate your tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First of all, if your tortoise is outside (where, in my opinion, he belongs), he will more than likely slow down and want to hibernate all by himself with no help from you.

A hibernating species of tortoise will stop eating about 2 or 3 weeks prior to the really cold weather setting in. In California this is about October, November. Then he stays in his hiding place, or digs down into the ground and you don't see him again until about the end of February, beginning of March.

Since my Russian tortoises have already hibernated this past winter and are now back in their outside yard, I think this is a moot point for you. It's too late in the season to allow a hibernation. Just keep your tortoise's lights on for 14 hours and keep putting him in front of the food every time you walk by the habitat.

Welcome to the Forum. How about you tell us a bit about how you are keeping the tortoise...habitat, lights, food, etc. We can always give better responses when we know more.

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
I wouldn't if I were you, not only are there risks and health problems, a lot of people just deem it unnecessary in a pet tortoise. The only reason they hibernate in the wild is because of the cold, lack of food, growing to reproduce etc. if you give your tort the perfect temp/humidity conditions, the right diet, he/she should be healthy enough to live a great life without ever needing to hibernate.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do i need to hibernate my Russian tortoise? Lots of people say you have to, and some say its not required. Im kind of confused. Also if you could tell me how to hibernate a tortoise that would help a lot.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/is-hibernation-absolutely-required.38255/

Yes, if you host a tortoise that naturally involves brumation as a part of their life cycle, then to educate yourself on the process is good and fair for you to do....fear should not replace education in this decision.....the link is just for your reference. There is much conflict with this topic. After all, if a person does not want to "deal" with brumation, there are several tortoise species that do not brumate that would be a better choice for both the host an the tortoise....;)

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
The only reason they hibernate in the wild is because of the cold, lack of food, growing to reproduce etc.
The only reason they sleep at night is because of the cold and lack of light. Would you recommend to keep the light and heat on 24/7? :D
I'm sure they would survive without a circadian rhythm, but it's only natural for them, just like brumation.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I wouldn't if I were you, not only are there risks and health problems, a lot of people just deem it unnecessary in a pet tortoise. The only reason they hibernate in the wild is because of the cold, lack of food, growing to reproduce etc. if you give your tort the perfect temp/humidity conditions, the right diet, he/she should be healthy enough to live a great life without ever needing to hibernate.

This is so not proven...just a fluff story passed on and on by folks that dont' "feel" gooD about "it"....evolution has clearly proven it is a necessary part of the "entire" life cycle of species designed to brumate..period. Who are we humans to decide we know better....

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
You don't HVAE to, no. Many people choose to give the tortoise exactly the natural experiences they would have in the wild, and there is a lot of debate around that.
I have not hibernated my Franklin in the 3 winters he's been with me, when I got him I decided I didn't need to since its not mandatory, I wonder if he's missing something important, but at the same time everyone says Russian tortoises slow down in the winter in preparation, but he never has, its like he doesn't even know its winter! If you choose hibernation plenty of people are experts in that manner and would gladly help, seeing as I have no experience that's where my advice ends.