Should I Rescue?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
All the best of luck to you and the tortoise! It's so good of you to care and want to do the right thing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think that's unhelpful too.
Quite the contrary, I think letting people know upfront that it isn't going to work is helpful. Watching them flounder, learn the hard way, spend a fortune on an exercise in futility, and then end up having to find someone willing to take their large tortoise is unhelpful.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@sst6843 ... Yes, Yes, Yes...."Any Tortoise Anywhere" we can and will help. We ship Torts all the time and have had NO issues in doing so. If you look up our YouTube Channel (Joshua Tree Reptile Haven) and look at the videos named 'Dash' you will see we just did this. A Sulcata raised in perfect (indoor) conditions but at 50 pounds it became impossible to offer a outdoor enclosure in 6 feet of snow. I will PM you.

Last edited:

2wgasa

5 Year Member
Carlsbad, CA
@sst6843 ... Yes, Yes, Yes...."Any Tortoise Anywhere" we can and will help. We ship Torts all the time and have had NO issues in doing so. If you look up our YouTube Channel (Joshua Tree Reptile Haven) and look at the videos named 'Dash' you will see we just did this. A Sulcata raised in perfect (indoor) conditions but at 50 pounds it became impossible to offer a outdoor enclosure in 6 feet of snow. I will PM you.
what do you think the cost will be to ship the tortoise to you (Canebrake)?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So the cost is determined by the weight. We shipped 4 RedFoots from NYC (which was the biggest shipping box they have) and the cost was about $200. We shipped a 50 lb. Sulcata from Massachusetts in a Home Depot tote and that was about $400. The animal is only in the shipping container for about 12 hours TOTAL. We shipped a Russian from Texas and it was about $125, so it is all up to the weight and size of box,tote, etc.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Truly anything you can do to get that tortoise out of a tank and to @EppsDynasty or a proper rescue would be wonderful. Imagine a human being living its whole life in a jail cell