Should tortoise feel cold?

Slbrlb

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest United States
Is it normal for my Hermann’s hatchling to feel cold in the mornings? He sleeps under his hide burrowed in the substrate all night so in the mornings when I get him out for his soak he feels cold. (Ambient temp at night is mid 70s. As he is wondering around the enclosure all day he feels warm. I know this makes sense as to why he feels different but I want to make sure it’s okay that he feels cold in the mornings? If he were too cold burrowed would he know to move to a warmer spot in the enclosure?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If his overall behavior is good, then it's probably fine. Do you have a temperature gun to double check temperature? Everyone is different, so it's hard to know how cold the cold is that you feel.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
If his overall behavior is good, then it's probably fine. Do you have a temperature gun to double check temperature? Everyone is different, so it's hard to know how cold the cold is that you feel.
Yes I can check the temp of his shell tomorrow morning. He is acting fine otherwise. I’m just used to him feeling warm when I hold him so I was a little worried.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They should feel nice and warm i.e like a warm bread roll ? mine wakes up from sleeping and I find it basking near or under the heat lamp in the morning. Check your heat lamp timer and try to make the sleeping area in the heat lamp vicinity. They do sleep in the cold side or burrow and that is their choice. Could be that your tort is finding hot side too hot. I suggest you check layout, heat and light temp and duration. If all ok maybe yours likes to be cooler.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Do you use any night heat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it normal for my Hermann’s hatchling to feel cold in the mornings? He sleeps under his hide burrowed in the substrate all night so in the mornings when I get him out for his soak he feels cold. (Ambient temp at night is mid 70s. As he is wondering around the enclosure all day he feels warm. I know this makes sense as to why he feels different but I want to make sure it’s okay that he feels cold in the mornings? If he were too cold burrowed would he know to move to a warmer spot in the enclosure?
Don't go by feel. Use a temp gun or thermometer. If your hands are hot, something warm will feel cold, and vice versa.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
I have a CHE for nighttime heat. Today I noticed he burrowed closer to the CHE and not under his hide. I can try moving the hide closer to the CHE maybe that will help.

America
I have a CHE for nighttime heat. Today I noticed he burrowed closer to the CHE and not under his hide. I can try moving the hide closer to the CHE maybe that will help.
Hi! I’m new with torts and recently got a CHE. I use a temp gun to measure the temp inside and outside of the hide. Its hard to say, but if they are freezing you could try a stronger CHE? My CHE seems less warm than his daytime bulb so im going to get a stronger CHE to maintain a constant temp. Good luck!