Sick baby redfoot )=

Delilah1623

My baby redfoot is not doing well. He hasn't pooped in about a week and stopped eating a few days ago. The last 2 days he doesn't want to open his eyes unless I run him under warm water for a bit.

Cool end of his tank is 80. Hot end is 96. He gets baths almost every day. Humidity is tough right now because of where I live but ranges between 60 and 80%.

Diet is a mix of spring mix, mazuri and ocassional green peppers and mushrooms.

I have tried carrot food soaks the last 2 days, twice a day. He did eat a little yesterday, some mazuri and green pepper mushed up with carrot baby food. I tried to get him to eat some aloe today to see if he would poop but he wasn't interested.

Any ideas of what else to try? I am worried I am going to lose my baby )=

Delilah1623

My baby redfoot is not doing well. He hasn't pooped in about a week and stopped eating a few days ago. The last 2 days he doesn't want to open his eyes unless I run him under warm water for a bit.

Cool end of his tank is 80. Hot end is 96. He gets baths almost every day. Humidity is tough right now because of where I live but ranges between 60 and 80%.

Diet is a mix of spring mix, mazuri and ocassional green peppers and mushrooms.

I have tried carrot food soaks the last 2 days, twice a day. He did eat a little yesterday, some mazuri and green pepper mushed up with carrot baby food. I tried to get him to eat some aloe today to see if he would poop but he wasn't interested.

Any ideas of what else to try? I am worried I am going to lose my baby )=

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
What type of lighting do you use?

parrotlady

5 Year Member
Try to soak him a couple times a day, be sure to keep him warm. Have you tried any fruit? Redfoots need some, also they need protein. I give mine chicken, sliced mushrooms. Btw mine will eat pear or strawberries when they are not interested in eating. Something is wrong! Redfoots usually are good eaters. Does your little guy have any mucus coming from his nose, does he have open eyes, if not does he open them when soaked in warm water. I know this is a lot of questions. The most important thing is to keep him warm and hydrated until we can try to figure out what is wrong. It maybe something small. Something in your setup? Substrate, bulbs used for UVB and heat, maybe a faulty heat gun, maybe the enclosure temps you gave are not accurate.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Man, I wish I knew how to help. I hope someone can point you in the right direction soon. I don't see anything in the husbandry that you've described that would cause those issues. Sometimes the use of CFL bulbs can cause those problems (which is why I asked about lighting).

I'm pulling for the both of you.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
I retread your post, try putting some eye ointment on his eyes to keep them moist. Maybe he is not eating because he cannot see his food. The eye ointment won't hurt him.

Delilah1623

I did tons of research before and after I got him (still do) and everything was going well and he's been thriving until about a week or so ago. I don't know what's going on.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Are you feeding him fruit? Papaya, mango, strawberries , kiwi are some favorites. Mine love banana but only in small amounts. Do you think he isn't pooping because he's blocked up or did he stop eating because he blocked. When mine where little i gave them a small drizzle of mineral oil mixed in with banana and mazuri.

Delilah1623

I give him fruit once or twice a week.

It seemed like he was try to poop today in his bath... He wiggled his around a little and some bubbles came out but nothing else.

I will try the mineral oil. Hopefully he will eat something.

Delilah1623

It seems like the not pooping started before the not eating but it's hard to say.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
He might be constipated, try giving him some of the mineral oil and some high water type foods and fruit to see if that helps.

He might also have an eye infection/respiratory infection. If you can see his eyes check and see if there are any white patches on or near the pupil.

Delilah1623

He's eyes look fine when he opens them. And his nose has been dry, no snot or bubbles.

Delilah1623

I have given him some fruit. He does get mushrooms every so often and once in a while some shrimp or other protein source.

I have put ointment in his eyes the last 2 days and no improvement with that either.

Randi

Canada
And you are sure he isn't pooping and eating it? My cherry head likes to poop and eat hers. The only time she won't is if she has pooped while she is bathing. Apparently it's a very common thing.

Be careful with the mineral oil. Start with a drop or two for the first day and see what happens. Then add more if no change.

If you are worried about keeping hydrated, etc, buy unflavored pedialyte and mix it in with the baths. Will provide hydration and some electrolytes. Your tort may be a little sticky. You can even use it when you mist. I found these types of soaks have helped me in many situations with various animals.

Best of luck to you and your baby! Hoping your baby gets better fast.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I'm sorry :( I hope he starts to eat today!!!! Poor baby. Just keep him warm & do your soaks. Hopefully the carrot soaks will stimulate his wanting to eat. I'm not familiar with your lighting, I've always used MVBs. Did you add new substrate recently? I'm rooting for him!! Keep us updated.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
Try to get him walking a lot, because if he's backed up he needs to get his metabolism revved up so he can pass the blockage.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What is your substrate? My tortoise ate a rock once...took her a while to pass it, but given your tortoise isn't opening her eyes, I highly doubt it's just constipation. Some substrates can irritate tortoises eyes so it's something to keep in mind.

How does her shell feel? Is it hard? Do you know how she started out?

Delilah1623

I bumped up the temps a bit. He seemed perkier this morning, has his eyes open and was giving me an evil glare when I put him in his bath.

After he did eat some mazuri with some aloe and kiwi mixed in. Hopefully whatever it was is getting better.

Substrate is coconut coir. There are no rocks in there he could have eaten.