Sick hermann tortoise

Alexlulx

Location (City and/or State)
Chisinau
I got yesterday a female tortoise (hermanni hermanni) , her face is a bit deformated, she eats more than my other tortoises, she looks really healthy but she has some bubbles in her nose and something breaths with her mouth, i dont have veterinars for reptiles in my country, is there a way to heal her naturally? (Outdoors)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I got yesterday a female tortoise (hermanni hermanni) , her face is a bit deformated, she eats more than my other tortoises, she looks really healthy but she has some bubbles in her nose and something breaths with her mouth, i dont have veterinars for reptiles in my country, is there a way to heal her naturally? (Outdoors)
Hello and welcome!

First thing is to keep her separated from your other tortoises. Even if you can get rid of the symptoms (like mouth breathing or bubbly nose), likely she will be a lifetime disease carrier (in case of Mycoplasma, for example). Of course, do not share any soaking/food/water dishes, wash hands after handling and so on.

The only natural way of healing is to keep her warm (no lower than 27-28C), well hydrated and on a good diet. Probably, you will need a heated box for her at nights (either built outside, with insulation or inside your house). Until you are confident that she is healthy hibernating (brumating) her in the winter is not advised.

There are probably some antibiotics which can be obtained without prescription (used for cattle, for example). But I would not use them without knowing what disease she has.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In order to help you better we need to know everything you do and use for her care.
Temps,basking temp,all over temp, night temp
Humidity
Diet
Substrate
Enclosure inside or out and size of it
How big is the tortoise
What other tortoises do you have and how many how big
Post pictures

Alexlulx

Chisinau
Hello and welcome!

First thing is to keep her separated from your other tortoises. Even if you can get rid of the symptoms (like mouth breathing or bubbly nose), likely she will be a lifetime disease carrier (in case of Mycoplasma, for example). Of course, do not share any soaking/food/water dishes, wash hands after handling and so on.

The only natural way of healing is to keep her warm (no lower than 27-28C), well hydrated and on a good diet. Probably, you will need a heated box for her at nights (either built outside, with insulation or inside your house). Until you are confident that she is healthy hibernating (brumating) her in the winter is not advised.

There are probably some antibiotics which can be obtained without prescription (used for cattle, for example). But I would not use them without knowing what disease she has.
Thanks for information
but she will never be able to breed with other male tortoises?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
In order to help you better we need to know everything you do and use for her care.
Temps,basking temp,all over temp, night temp
Humidity
Diet
Substrate
Enclosure inside or out and size of it
How big is the tortoise
What other tortoises do you have and how many how big
Post pictures
Hello and welcome to the forum!

If you could answer these questions that would be super helpful for us to advise on your set up and care moving forward, which will hopefully get them better for you❤️

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thanks for information

Welcome and good morning,

Sorry to interrupt…but I have to ask…

Why???
Will she not be ABLE to mate with the males?
You say her face is deformed??
May we have a picture if you please??
We are going to help you here this is the right place.
You don’t need doctors or vet appointments yet…
Tell us more please…
Oh and please listen to the advice people give on here. If you really want help they WILL BE ABLE TO HELP YOU!!!!
Good luck my friend!!
😘❤️👍🎈🙏

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am picturing a sick tortoise with an overgrown beak. Am I wrong? Please let us help you and post some pictures along with answers to the very important questions asked! Thanks!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks for information
Any close contact with other tortoise (like fighting or mating) is a primary way of transmission for some respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma. So you will put your male at risk. If it is not a mycoplasma but a bacterial respiratory infection then after antibiotic treatment there are high chances that she won't be contagious.

Please note, I'm only speculating about one possible disease here. Without tests you can't tell for sure. You can talk to some vets in your city or country if they can take swab/blood sample and send to a lab for analysis (or get a remote consultation on analysis results). Maybe, vets at municipal zoos can help you.