Sickly Sulcata

Ser

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Update..

It's not going so well. I'm guessing baby had a bad start.. a very cold one for sure because the previous owners had no heat source. I purchased the hatchling off Facebook garage sale. After a bit of proding i found out a teen had bought it from a a local petshop without permission (They didn't want to tell bc they pet shop sells them for 150$ and I purchased for $20). I stopped by the petshop to see what condition everything was in. Babies where barely alive and it broke my heart. The where being kept in a dry container, fed small amounts of kale only with no heat source. I was acting like I was interested in buying one and they said to soak 2x a week and room temp (70 degrees) was fine. The worker told me they where 4 months old but I'm guessing just a couple weeks. They where under 2 inches and weighing in at approximately 30 grams..

I contacted the closest Sulcta vet and they basically told me there was nothing I could do. "Milly" has been very lethargic and has barely opened her eyes in over a week . I had her in a tank the for the firfi few days I had her but switched to a brooding box seeing as the yolk scar hadn't closed. I've had her since August 27 2018.

I've been soaking her 2x a day in a "grass smoothie" and offering fresh food constantly. Last bowel movement was 6 days prior, but yesterday she had one and today 2. Good sign and no overall weight loss..

But I'm not holding my breath and honestly don't have much hope but would like to do everything possible. Until fate takes it course, whatever that may be.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Update..

It's not going so well. I'm guessing baby had a bad start.. a very cold one for sure because the previous owners had no heat source. I purchased the hatchling off Facebook garage sale. After a bit of proding i found out a teen had bought it from a a local petshop without permission (They didn't want to tell bc they pet shop sells them for 150$ and I purchased for $20). I stopped by the petshop to see what condition everything was in. Babies where barely alive and it broke my heart. The where being kept in a dry container, fed small amounts of kale only with no heat source. I was acting like I was interested in buying one and they said to soak 2x a week and room temp (70 degrees) was fine. The worker told me they where 4 months old but I'm guessing just a couple weeks. They where under 2 inches and weighing in at approximately 30 grams..

I contacted the closest Sulcta vet and they basically told me there was nothing I could do. "Milly" has been very lethargic and has barely opened her eyes in over a week . I had her in a tank the for the firfi few days I had her but switched to a brooding box seeing as the yolk scar hadn't closed. I've had her since August 27 2018.

I've been soaking her 2x a day in a "grass smoothie" and offering fresh food constantly. Last bowel movement was 6 days prior, but yesterday she had one and today 2. Good sign and no overall weight loss..

But I'm not holding my breath and honestly don't have much hope but would like to do everything possible. Until fate takes it course, whatever that may be.

I’ll be pulling for you. Good of you to try and help!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Ser

Arkansas
Pulling here too.

I’m hoping you have read all the info here, especially on ambient heat requirements and basking lights and humidity. Instead of grass smoothies, you might want to try baby carrot food soakings too.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Best of luck.

Yes, I've more than likely become Toms #1 stalker. I'm trying that for the first time tonight. My poor kids where terrified I was trying to make turtle soup.

Best of luck to you and yours

Attachments

• IMG_20180906_164658.jpg
    IMG_20180906_164658.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 33

Bee62

Germany
Update..

My fingers are crossed for your little tort.
Is there nothing that can be done to force the pet shop owner to keep the tortoise babies in better ( right ) conditions ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like someone finally found an honest and trustworthy vet.

Sorry that you are having this experience, and that these people choose to remain so ignorant, but I'm happy this baby has found you and at least been given a chance, and a good life for whatever time it has on this earth.

Ser

Arkansas
My fingers are crossed for your little tort.
Is there nothing that can be done to force the pet shop owner to keep the tortoise babies in better ( right ) conditions ?

I've given them a printout with the right information. I'm guessing the problem starts with the breeder though.

Ser

Arkansas
Sounds like someone finally found an honest and trustworthy vet.

Sorry that you are having this experience, and that these people choose to remain so ignorant, but I'm happy this baby has found you and at least been given a chance, and a good life for whatever time it has on this earth.

Thanks Tom. I really appreciate all the effort you put into spreading correct information. So far, it's been a life saver.