Size of Habitat? Tank vs Rubber Tub?

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Hello! I’m brand new to the tortoise world and am plotting out my first ever tortoise :D. I’m actually between Hermann’s (Eastern and Dalmatian), Greek (Golden, Ibera, and Mideastern), and of course the Russian. I’ll be getting a hatchling. I’m under the impression that these species are all very similar (though there are obviously differences!) so I decided to make one post asking a few questions.
Sorry for asking so many questions!

1. Size?
- I’m so confused about size of enclosure. I know bigger is better for all tortoises, but I’m not handy (though my uncle is). So I was thinking a rubber tub, tank, or anything premade would be SO much easier for me. The cementing tubs I was looking at have dimensions on them. One cementing tub is $36 and says it’s 36 X 24 X 8. Is this a good size or....?

2. Tank or Tub or?
- I read that tanks are good for hatchlings because it’s easier to keep up humidity. Is this true or is a tub better because tubs have more space...?

3. Humidity
- How much humidity does any of these species need? I keep reading that they are all dry-loving species (more than other tortoises I mean) and therefore don’t need (or want) super high humidity. So is lightly spraying their enclosure once a day good enough or should it be more? And I’m assuming that they still require a moist hide..? Or should I offer a moist hide and a dry hide and let him decide..?

Sorry for all the questions. Like I said I’m brand new to the tortoise world and I want to make sure I know all my facts before I get my new baby. :tort: I know I said I’m still torn on which species I’m getting in the first place... I just love them all! :<3:

Thanks so much!!

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Missouri
OH! I had also found a bookshelf that’s 41.6 long and 23.6 wide. Would this be better?? To convert a bookshelf into an enclosure?
Thanks!!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
For a hatchling, you willl need a closed chamber to keep humidity and temps stable. Many people use greenhouses with cement mixing tubs inside.

For an adult, you will need to build a 4x8ft enclosure.

Welcome and can’t wait to see what you decide.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
When I got my hatchling Russian are used a 40 gallon breeder tank. But you could also use Rubbermaid bin’s etc. Check out the Mediterranean species section. I think under the Russian section there is a thread about hatchling enclosures. That would work for any of those tortoises.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I always thought these two patio benches looked well enough to be converted into a temporary hatchling enclosure:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDPY7RG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0JO5MG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

It's not cheap but if left outside most people would not bother to look inside. It doubles as a bench. All you really need to do is drill side holes for light fixtures and make sure to keep water from entering said holes. Extension cord to connect to your trailer/home, a surge protector device for fixtures and thermostat , and a weather proof lock box to house them all in. Pretty simple project really. Definitely not the cheapest option but a somewhat unique one.

Leave the top open and lights off during sunny days. I would still recommend building a custom external cover with hardware cloth to prevent critters and people from having access to your tortoise on days when the bench is left open.

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Missouri
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-easy-closed-chamber.143195/#post-1341917

It took A LOT of searching but I found it. I think you’ll like this closed chamber.

Thank you so much!!
I definitely like it. I have a few ideas stored away for his/her enclosure. I’m not getting him/her until summer 2019 but I wanted to do my research early and figure everything out ahead of time, instead of getting him/her and having no clue what I was doing. I hate being unprepared and it wouldn’t be fair to him/her either!
Thanks again! :)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I always thought these two patio benches looked well enough to be converted into a temporary hatchling enclosure:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDPY7RG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0JO5MG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

It's not cheap but if left outside most people would not bother to look inside. It doubles as a bench. All you really need to do is drill side holes for light fixtures and make sure to keep water from entering said holes. Extension cord to connect to your trailer/home, a surge protector device for fixtures and thermostat , and a weather proof lock box to house them all in. Pretty simple project really. Definitely not the cheapest option but a somewhat unique one.

Leave the top open and lights off during sunny days. I would still recommend building a custom external cover with hardware cloth to prevent critters and people from having access to your tortoise on days when the bench is left open.
  • Our local Sams Club has the 150 gallon storage unit for sale now at $99.00.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Welcome! It's great that you are doing your research early. You'll be a great tortoise parent. Beware of all the terrible information out there on the internet. When you find conflicting information you can trust what is said on this forum. And people here are so nice so ask any questions.
I'm a new tort parent to a Russian. I made so many mistakes in the beginning. Sounds like you are dedicated to doing it right!