Size ok for yearling?

aidbre94

Location (City and/or State)
Barrie, ON, CAN
Hello!

Just commenting to get some opinions on the size of my Russian who is turning one next week. Everything I’ve been reading says maybe they’re too big and if that’s the case I’ll definitely cut down on the foods.

Carapace length in a straight line is 3 1/2”. Gets a whole whack of various greens, weeds, dried flowers, succulents, some cacti species once in a while, twice a week calcium without D3, once a week vitamin without D3 and Mazuri LS 3x a week as a fibre supplement.

I’m going to graduate them out of their closed chamber into a 5x2.5 tub that I’ll probably still cover over 1/2 with Perspex or other clear plastic sheet (leave room for the T5 & flood bulb) shortly and then further upgrade once reaches closer to adult hood. Shell grow a bit bumpy then seems to smooth out as the growth spurt ends so I’m just making sure I’m doing ok with them.

Any advice, critique etc is welcomed, I’ve had this little guy/gal since they were 2 months old so I’ve been doing my absolute best during these crucial months with them.

Are they overweight/too big or maybe just a future female who’s going to be a big one lol?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• B3FA6A0A-E79F-4661-9F1C-1612B2622300.jpeg
    B3FA6A0A-E79F-4661-9F1C-1612B2622300.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 16C73E88-DBF8-4D1D-A63D-4B94DB4DF7FF.jpeg
    16C73E88-DBF8-4D1D-A63D-4B94DB4DF7FF.jpeg
  • CD4A4978-BCAC-43F1-A561-C43B42132452.jpeg
    CD4A4978-BCAC-43F1-A561-C43B42132452.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • AB78DB84-D5FC-4D64-9594-BB67B631DCE5.jpeg
    AB78DB84-D5FC-4D64-9594-BB67B631DCE5.jpeg

aidbre94

Barrie, ON, CAN
Hello!

Just commenting to get some opinions on the size of my Russian who is turning one next week. Everything I’ve been reading says maybe they’re too big and if that’s the case I’ll definitely cut down on the foods.

Carapace length in a straight line is 3 1/2”. Gets a whole whack of various greens, weeds, dried flowers, succulents, some cacti species once in a while, twice a week calcium without D3, once a week vitamin without D3 and Mazuri LS 3x a week as a fibre supplement.

I’m going to graduate them out of their closed chamber into a 5x2.5 tub that I’ll probably still cover over 1/2 with Perspex or other clear plastic sheet (leave room for the T5 & flood bulb) shortly and then further upgrade once reaches closer to adult hood. Shell grow a bit bumpy then seems to smooth out as the growth spurt ends so I’m just making sure I’m doing ok with them.

Any advice, critique etc is welcomed, I’ve had this little guy/gal since they were 2 months old so I’ve been doing my absolute best during these crucial months with them.

Are they overweight/too big or maybe just a future female who’s going to be a big one lol?

Thanks guys!
I should add that they have a humid hide that stays above 80% all the time and that will continue and their cool side humidity spikes to 90 overnight and I’ve never seen it dip below high 60’s in the height of the day. Soaked almost everyday (once in a while I skip) and shell gets a mist during every soak and sometimes when I’m just passing by and they’re basking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I should add that they have a humid hide that stays above 80% all the time and that will continue and their cool side humidity spikes to 90 overnight and I’ve never seen it dip below high 60’s in the height of the day. Soaked almost everyday (once in a while I skip) and shell gets a mist during every soak and sometimes when I’m just passing by and they’re basking.
All of the above sounds great. Weight and size are excellent. Not fast at all, but not slow either. Sounds like good, healthy, hydrated growth on a good varied diet, with excellent supplementation.

aidbre94

Barrie, ON, CAN
All of the above sounds great. Weight and size are excellent. Not fast at all, but not slow either. Sounds like good, healthy, hydrated growth on a good varied diet, with excellent supplementation.
Thank you Tom, was hoping for a reply from you (and any other of these wonderful keepers)

The slight bumpiness in the shell seem fine for a growing Russian? It’s weird because sometimes I see some bumps and get stressed then the scutes seem to kind of grow out and smooth it out before repeating the process.

It’s been a stressful challenge raising a hatchling but it’s been fun, and I can’t thank you enough for your in depth care guides.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom, was hoping for a reply from you (and any other of these wonderful keepers)

The slight bumpiness in the shell seem fine for a growing Russian? It’s weird because sometimes I see some bumps and get stressed then the scutes seem to kind of grow out and smooth it out before repeating the process.

It’s been a stressful challenge raising a hatchling but it’s been fun, and I can’t thank you enough for your in depth care guides.
Shell looks good to me. Russian have texture to their carapace. That is normal. I'd prefer to continue with a closed chamber if possible if you are concerned about pyramiding. Its also easier to maintain warmth and humidity with a closed chamber.