Sluggish - need advice.

Bass.Isles

Hey, everyone. My Sulcata tortoise, Isla, is 28 months old. I got her in April of 2017. She hadn't been very well taken care of, but has almost tripled in weight since I adopted her. She is usually very active, eats a ton and poops even more. But lately, she has been very sluggish. Mostly staying in her "sleep spot". She is still eating and deficating, but not nearly as much as before. I was wondering if this may be due to winter conditions? Even though I live in Florida, it has been staying between 30° and 50° F, for weeks. But it's not like I let her be exposed to the elements. She is in a very large, sealed, adjustable deck box on my porch and I make sure, several times a day (with a thermometer and temp gun), that her ambient environment temperature stays between 82 and 91 degrees, with a basking spot that provides 104 - 107° heat. So what is y'alls opinion on her sluggish behavior? Also, her eyes are completely clear and she is not making any odd sounds (sneezing, wheezing, coughing, squeaking, etc). Oh, and I soak her approximately 3 times per week like always, so i doubt that she is dehydrated. And I feed her a very good, balanced diet of mostly grasses, weeds, cactus pads, escarole, endive, dandelion, and a bit of the original formula Mazuri tortoise food. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
my ceramic heater lamp got unplugged accidentally for a day and my baby sulcatta got sluggish right away. As soon as I remedied the problem, he was back to himself as soon as he got warmer. I don't know if that will help your turtle or not, but it happened really fast for mine. THe ambient temp is about 80.

Bass.Isles

Awe, glad you realized it came unplugged. Isla's temps have been staying pretty consistently in the ranges I mentioned, though. And she's not cool to the touch or anything when I place my hand on her. That's why I'm a little baffled.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
It may not pertain to your situation, but my 8 year old sulcata does slow down during the winter months. Shorter days, and cooler temps mean that he comes out of his box later in the day and goes back in earlier in the afternoon. He eats less than he did in August and September and spends more time sunning than pacing his perimeter. He is doing all the things that a healthy tortoise does, just less of them than I see during the other three seasons.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Even when we keep them indoors under all of our artificial electric heat and light, they still know its winter. The light cycles, color values and intensity change, and they pick up on it. When housed outdoors, like yours and mine, they pick up on it even more.

You mentioned the temps, but what about lighting? Do you have any sort of full spectrum lighting in the box? UV? If you put some bright lighting of the correct spectrum and intensity in there, and keep it on for 13 hours a day, I'll bet your tortoise will perk up.

Bass.Isles

Yes, my lighting is all actually stuff you recommended about 5 months ago - full spectrum UVB, and flood light for basking, as well as CHE's for night time. And I put everything on a timer like you recommended as well, and have it set to stay on (the day lights) about 12.5 hours a day. I think you're right and she is just sensing that it is winter. Just concerned me because this is her first winter with me and I'm so used to her eating like a hog lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, my lighting is all actually stuff you recommended about 5 months ago - full spectrum UVB, and flood light for basking, as well as CHE's for night time. And I put everything on a timer like you recommended as well, and have it set to stay on (the day lights) about 12.5 hours a day. I think you're right and she is just sensing that it is winter. Just concerned me because this is her first winter with me and I'm so used to her eating like a hog lol
You could try adding another florescent tube. Something in the 5000-6500K range. This will add a lot of brightness.