Small white spots on the undershell?

graciemay98

Location (City and/or State)
OH
Hello, i've just recently noticed these small white/clear spots on the belly of my baby Sulcata. The don't raise up at all but the color and shape a bubble-like. That's the best way i could describe them. Is this normal and/or has anyone seen this before?
IMG_2437.jpgIMG_2436.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's probably nothing. Do a search for "white squiggly lines."

graciemay98

OH
They look like hard water stains from soaking in tap water.

Oh gosh that could be a possibility. I honestly did not know soaking in tap water was wrong.. What should i be using? I live in an apartment so i can't really change the softness of my tap water

graciemay98

OH
Hello, I am a new mom to a baby Sulcata. I only use tap water for soaking and drinking. But now i am noticing hard water stains on his under shell. Is that only cosmetic or does it become a health risk???
(please don't bash me about types of water...)

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Oh gosh that could be a possibility. I honestly did not know soaking in tap water was wrong.. What should i be using? I live in an apartment so i can't really change the softness of my tap water
You can purchase distilled water to soak in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do a search for "white squiggly lines" and see if that's what you're talkin' about.

Also use tap water.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Some of my babies have the same marks. I still soak them in tap water since it's quicker to get it warmer from the faucet (I'm changing water every 5 minutes to keep them in a warm soak for 30 minutes). But I do put purified bottled water in their water dishes so they aren't drinking the hard tap water.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
It has nothing to do with the kind of water you use. The marks are inside the keratin, not on the outside!
That's good to know. Wish I knew what caused them then, just out of curiosity. I had researched about it online about 2 months ago when I noticed them, but the only answer I could find was tap water. I just know they are harmless so I'm not worried about them.

graciemay98

OH
Well i figured the deep squiggly dents are just growth lines maybe.... but in my post i was asking about the really really faint white/clear dots and blobs haha. water marks seem to make sense for those. but i will also look into the squiggly dent marks!!
Thank you guys

graciemay98

OH
Well i figured the deep squiggly dents are just growth lines maybe.... but in my post i was asking about the really really faint white/clear dots and blobs haha. water marks seem to make sense for those. but i will also look into the squiggly dent marks!!
Thank you guys

IMG_2440.jpg

Like these thingies!

drew54

Indiana
Using tap water retains minerals that the tort needs as opposed to filtered and distilled. Use it for soak and you can use distilled for spraying if you don't want the water stains.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I recommended it purely for aesthetics. Both of mine do perfectly fine with tap water...and Cincinnati is famous for its hard water! Lol
Try Lancaster...it grows red algae...