Soak

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings...looking nice. The only thing I would recommend is to sink the water bowl down into the substrate so it is level or below. A lot easier for torty to drop it’s head down in for a drink or to sink down in for a soak.

Have fun, good luck!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Ditto on the water bowl. I’d get a cheap terracotta plant saucer and sink it straight down into the substrate. If the label is still on it, perhaps you can return it to where you purchased it.

I do love to see an energetic, hungry tortoise!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Is your tort a baby. It sure looks young. If so it should really be in a closed chamber to keep temps and humidity up. He already looks pyramided.

SmithyBlade

Portsmouth
Is your tort a baby. It sure looks young. If so it should really be in a closed chamber to keep temps and humidity up. He already looks pyramided.

It’s just the angle of the picture I was told by many on this page that his shell and enclosure is completely fine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you would like to know what to do now. I’m starting to worry I’m doing something wrong [emoji26]
Over all you've done very well. Everyone who looks at any enclosure will see things that they would do differently. Here is what I see:
  • That water bowl is a tipping/drowning hazard. I'd remove it ASAP and replace it with a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate.
  • The enclosure is really too small. Its not catastrophic small, like its going to kill your tortoise by next week, but more room to walk would be better.
  • The substrate looks a little dry. The tortoise is pyramiding a bit, so I would examine humidity levels, basking bulb choice, and basking temperature under the bulb. All of these these can contribute to a carapace that is too dry.
  • I don't see a humid hide. Having one can help counteract the aforementioned drying effects.
Hope these ideas help, and feel free to question all of it and ask for more explanation.

SmithyBlade

Portsmouth
Over all you've done very well. Everyone who looks at any enclosure will see things that they would do differently. Here is what I see:
  • That water bowl is a tipping/drowning hazard. I'd remove it ASAP and replace it with a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate.
  • The enclosure is really too small. Its not catastrophic small, like its going to kill your tortoise by next week, but more room to walk would be better.
  • The substrate looks a little dry. The tortoise is pyramiding a bit, so I would examine humidity levels, basking bulb choice, and basking temperature under the bulb. All of these these can contribute to a carapace that is too dry.
  • I don't see a humid hide. Having one can help counteract the aforementioned drying effects.
Hope these ideas help, and feel free to question all of it and ask for more explanation.

Thankyou so much how do I form a humid hide and is his pyramiding so bad that I should worry? Oh and how do I form humidity?

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Thankyou so much how do I form a humid hide and is his pyramiding so bad that I should worry? Oh and how do I form humidity?
You can use the same log hide or make another one even out of tupperware or a plastic tub. Make the substrate damp by pouring water into it and mixing it up. It looks like you have large orchid bark; sphagnum moss in the hide can help retain humidity. The pyramiding isn't going to kill or seriously harm your tortoise, but you want to have a nice, smooth shell and stop it continuing as soon as possible.

Also keep soaking often, and spray his shell a couple of times a day. Young tortoises spend a lot of time hiding in burrows where it is very humid.

SmithyBlade

Portsmouth
You can use the same log hide or make another one even out of tupperware or a plastic tub. Make the substrate damp by pouring water into it and mixing it up. It looks like you have large orchid bark; sphagnum moss in the hide can help retain humidity. The pyramiding isn't going to kill or seriously harm your tortoise, but you want to have a nice, smooth shell and stop it continuing as soon as possible.

Also keep soaking often, and spray his shell a couple of times a day. Young tortoises spend a lot of time hiding in burrows where it is very humid.

Awesome thank you what is an ideal temperature and humidity level?

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Awesome thank you what is an ideal temperature and humidity level?
You need a basking temperature of 95 degrees F and the rest of the enclosure should be 70 - 75 degrees F. As for humidity I'm not certain but I think something like 80% in the hide is good, and for the rest of the enclosure you want it above 50%.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A closed chamber enclosure is the best way. With an open top, your humidity will always escape up and into the room.

To make a humid hide you need a plastic tub of some sort. Flip it upside down, cut out a door hole just big enough for the tortoise, and wet the substrate under it. I use black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. They only cost $1.82.

Temp under your basking bulb should be around 95-100. If it is hotter it can dry out the carapace excessively. The type of bulb matters too. MVBs tend to have more of a desiccating effect, where lower wattage regular flood bulbs are not as bad.

SmithyBlade

Portsmouth
A closed chamber enclosure is the best way. With an open top, your humidity will always escape up and into the room.

To make a humid hide you need a plastic tub of some sort. Flip it upside down, cut out a door hole just big enough for the tortoise, and wet the substrate under it. I use black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. They only cost $1.82.

Temp under your basking bulb should be around 95-100. If it is hotter it can dry out the carapace excessively. The type of bulb matters too. MVBs tend to have more of a desiccating effect, where lower wattage regular flood bulbs are not as bad.

Is there something I can buy to close over the open?