SOFT PLASTRON SOS

tortoisemonger889

I purchased a baby golden Greek tortoise from Arizona Tortoise compound in August. He is around the size of a golf ball. Yesterday I had him out and pushed on his plastron and it has considerable give! He has a UVB light and I dust his greens daily. In the second picture you can see the raised and sunken in areas. If you can offer any recommendations that would be great!!!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453840069.948038.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453840149.998368.jpg

Grapes

Hatchlings shells aren't hard immediately after hatching. As long as you are providing the proper UVB (or preferably natural sunlight) and supplementing with calcium you should be ok just be patient. I have no experience on this particular species but I'm sure someone will be along who's familiar.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
That animal looks very dehydrated and in poor condition. Maybe you could comment about it's diet, habitat ,set up, etc.

tortoisemonger889

That animal looks very dehydrated and in poor condition. Maybe you could comment about it's diet, habitat ,set up, etc.

He has a water dish filled 24/7, I must his enclosure every two days, and he is fed usually baby kale with the occasional Brussels sprout or flower. He is in a 40 gallon on Cyprus mulch, and his basking temp is around 80°F. In his enclosure he has the water dish a food dish and a half log hide out on the cool side of the enclosure.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hi
1st cut out the Blbrussel sprouts only greens (less kale if possible) and flowers.
2ng start wetting down his food when feeding.
3rd higher basking temp 80 is far to low.
Regarding the sort shell they start put soft and pliable & harden over time. You have to worry when the shell starts getting softer,.is it?

tortoisemonger889

Hi
1st cut out the Blbrussel sprouts only greens (less kale if possible) and flowers.
2ng start wetting down his food when feeding.
3rd higher basking temp 80 is far to low.
Regarding the sort shell they start put soft and pliable & harden over time. You have to worry when the shell starts getting softer,.is it?

What other kind of greens would you recommend?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
your local store should sell a variety including radish greens mustard greens turnip greens dandelions. if all else fails you can always get spring mix.

tortoisemonger889

your local store should sell a variety including radish greens mustard greens turnip greens dandelions. if all else fails you can always get spring mix.
Ok thanks! Do you think that some of the reason for the low temp and maybe lack of UVB light is due to the height of the enclosure? I believe that it is 18" away from the bottom.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
low-temperature possibly UV harder to say would you happen to have a solar meter? the height of the light will definitely effect temperature

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
First of all welcome to the forum.
Your baby tort is tiny and seems to me it needs a lot of nurturing, kinda like tiny human baby. It may not be able to go to his food bowl and eat. You may need to purée his food and put the baby right in front of it to encourage eating.
I don't really know about raising Greeks, I have baby Redfoots, but looking at this baby, he doesn't look very well, just kinda pale, wrinkled, eyes closed.... I hope someone experienced with Greeks chimes in soon but I'll tell you what I think after nursing sickly redfoot baby back to health:
1) I think your temps are too low. I think that sick babies need to be kept really warm and really humid. I wouldn't keep his cool side below 80F, never mind basking
2) misting enclosure every other day and presence of water dish won't do it for the humidity and hydration. Babies as tiny as yours should be soaked in warm (not hot, just nice and warm) water daily, sick babies even twice daily. If you post picture of your enclosure we can help with suggestions for best parameters
3) I'd try puréed greens and if there's any commercial tort food brand that's suitable for your species I'd get that, soak few pellets in warm water or juice, mash it up and mix with the greens
4) make sure this baby eats, if not, try soaking in carrot purée Gerber baby food.

Summarizing, it's really all about basics,
keep him nice and warm,
feed 2-3 times per day (keep trying different things till you figure out what he likes)
And soak, soak, soak
Good UVB and excercise+ lots of love is what I would be doing

Pearly

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453920136.514431.jpg this is how I start chopping my opuntia cactus, by very fine dicingImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453920319.694110.jpg then I just keep running my knife through it until it's almost mash consistency and all that slime-like juice lets out/things get bit slimyImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453920523.961702.jpg and here it's ready to serve in piles: cactus, escarole with parsley, the bown stuff is soaked Mazuri, and today they get little cucumber (light green on the bottom) and little mango. Sometimes I serve it just like it is on the picture to see what they like best. Today I mixed it all upImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453920766.734510.jpg and topped it with chopped mango, then I always put couple if fresh leaves for them to snack on. Their main nutrition though is from the pile if mash ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453920909.675781.jpg Here's my little Dude. I always worry about his intake. He was shipped to us very young and was not eating. He is the reason I am being so crazy about their food, and giving them all they need to thrive in captivity. He's been eating and growing but I still have to watch him. He'll take few bites and often retreat to his hide. I always watch them eat and noticed the other tort was taking much longer to eat her breakfast. I started getting him back out from the hide and encouraging him to eat, and.... he did!!!! That second take for him is his true meal! He eats like a champ! I don't know what that initial "tasting" is, but I am not taking any chances. He needs to eat to be healthy. I feed those babies 2x day now. Before was serving freshly chopped or blended stuff 3xday and I suspect that this (blending, baby food, frequent feedings) saved this little guy's lifeImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1453921483.661642.jpg here are both of my "Grand-torts" (my 11yr old daughter owns them)

tortoisemonger889

View attachment 163594 this is how I start chopping my opuntia cactus, by very fine dicingView attachment 163595 then I just keep running my knife through it until it's almost mash consistency and all that slime-like juice lets out/things get bit slimyView attachment 163596 and here it's ready to serve in piles: cactus, escarole with parsley, the bown stuff is soaked Mazuri, and today they get little cucumber (light green on the bottom) and little mango. Sometimes I serve it just like it is on the picture to see what they like best. Today I mixed it all upView attachment 163597 and topped it with chopped mango, then I always put couple if fresh leaves for them to snack on. Their main nutrition though is from the pile if mash View attachment 163598 Here's my little Dude. I always worry about his intake. He was shipped to us very young and was not eating. He is the reason I am being so crazy about their food, and giving them all they need to thrive in captivity. He's been eating and growing but I still have to watch him. He'll take few bites and often retreat to his hide. I always watch them eat and noticed the other tort was taking much longer to eat her breakfast. I started getting him back out from the hide and encouraging him to eat, and.... he did!!!! That second take for him is his true meal! He eats like a champ! I don't know what that initial "tasting" is, but I am not taking any chances. He needs to eat to be healthy. I feed those babies 2x day now. Before was serving freshly chopped or blended stuff 3xday and I suspect that this (blending, baby food, frequent feedings) saved this little guy's lifeView attachment 163602 here are both of my "Grand-torts" (my 11yr old daughter owns them)
Thank you very much! So that will help the soft plastron?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Better diet, more daily warm soaks, better UVB and temps should help. Not just one but all needs to be changed. The temp should be no lower then 80 with a humidity of 80% and a basking spot of 95_100. Lower the baring bulb to get the temp up which will as give better UVB. Be sure night temps are 80 too. Please read the threads below in my post for proper care.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Yes! Good diet, healthy environment, provide opportunity to play outside (for "sunning" and work those muscles, oxygenate the body), Good health in general , hydration, Kinda like in people, exercise helps us keep good strong bones.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Better diet, more daily warm soaks, better UVB and temps should help. Not just one but all needs to be changed. The temp should be no lower then 80 with a humidity of 80% and a basking spot of 95_100. Lower the baring bulb to get the temp up which will as give better UVB. Be sure night temps are 80 too. Please read the threads below in my post for proper care.
Agree 100%!

tortoisemonger889

Agree 100%!

I am building a brand new cage for my Tort now! I found that my Cyprus mulch does not hold moisture well so I ordered repti bark and am planning on growing a few varieties of plants, I'm looking for some kind of tree (for visual appeal) and some kind of ground plant that could possibly be eaten.. Any suggestions? Also I am building the cage to be 10" tall and more of a tortoise table to allow the heat source and UVB to be closer to the ground. I'm also looking to add a shallow corner "pond" to allow for a larger water source... Any suggestions as to how I should go about that?