Soil for Sulcata.

Tortoiselover93

Location (City and/or State)
Larnaca
Hello everyone, new to the forum.

I have a sulcata tortoise for about 1-year-old. I am trying to find organic topsoil, but I can't find anyone like this in Cyprus.

I have found this 2. Which one is the best for sulcata?

Attachments

• 0139536.jpg
    0139536.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 0232914.png
    0232914.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This question was just asked and answered on another thread. I'll copy/paste it for you (Tom is the person answering):

I do t understand why no soil or sand they live in soil and sand in nature?
In addition to what Yvonne said, there is no man made soil in nature. Bought-in-a-bag soil from the store is made up of all sorts of weird stuff and unknown composted yard waste. Could be anything. Could be oleander, could be pesticidal sprayed grass clippings during mosquito season, could be leaves from a toxic tree. There is no way to know and the makers do not intend for small animals to be living in/on it.

Also, while we see sand impaction in captive tortoises frequently, I can't recall one single case of sand impaction in a wild tortoise. Our enclosures are not the wild. Plain and simple.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, TortoiseLover93, if you can find fine grade (small particles) fir bark you should use that instead of soil. Look at plant nurseries for "orchid bark" or maybe online for either fir bark or orchid bark - same thing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone, new to the forum.

I have a sulcata tortoise for about 1-year-old. I am trying to find organic topsoil, but I can't find anyone like this in Cyprus.

I have found this 2. Which one is the best for sulcata?
Hello and welcome to the forum. Here is the current and correct sulcata care info:

Substrate is in there.