Somalia/Ethiopia Pardalis

victoroko

Location (City and/or State)
Spain
Hello I am new in this forum, I am from Europe (Spain). I have a breeding group of 2.3 Giant Pardalis from Somalia and many babies. If I am not wrong there are no pardalis from Somalia in America but I would be pleased of exporting if you are interested. I can share photos and all information you need.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello I am new in this forum, I am from Europe (Spain). I have a breeding group of 2.3 Giant Pardalis from Somalia and many babies. If I am not wrong there are no pardalis from Somalia in America but I would be pleased of exporting if you are interested. I can share photos and all information you need.
Importation of leopards into the USA was banned in 1998. If it wasn't, we would have this type of tortoise here. Thanks for the offer. Even though we can't have them, we would love to see pics of yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

victoroko

Spain
About the colorations of this Subspecie, some people say they are more white than pardalis babcoki. It is because, as they will get bigger and grow faster, some times when they are still medium sizes they look really really white. I've been asking to other breeders in Asia where they have really white Pardalis Somalica and looks like the white color is related with the growth speed and also the sunlight, but I am still trying to understand how they do it.

Here are som pics of my colletion. I hope you like it :)

Attachments

• Image 2024-06-21 at 08.20.20 (4).jpeg
    Image 2024-06-21 at 08.20.20 (4).jpeg
    574.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Image 2024-06-21 at 08.20.20 (1).jpeg
    Image 2024-06-21 at 08.20.20 (1).jpeg
    675.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Image 2024-06-21 at 08.20.20 (2).jpeg
    Image 2024-06-21 at 08.20.20 (2).jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Image 2024-06-21 at 08.20.20 (3).jpeg
    Image 2024-06-21 at 08.20.20 (3).jpeg
    699 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
About the colorations of this Subspecie, some people say they are more white than pardalis babcoki. It is because, as they will get bigger and grow faster, some times when they are still medium sizes they look really really white. I've been asking to other breeders in Asia where they have really white Pardalis Somalica and looks like the white color is related with the growth speed and also the sunlight, but I am still trying to understand how they do it.

Here are som pics of my colletion. I hope you like it :)
What a beautyful group!

If you don't mind, can you share some details how do you keep them? I'm asking more about region specifics - diet, product brands, coping with climate and such. We have some members from EU (and Italy, too) - this can be useful for them (and for me :) )

victoroko

Spain
Hi Alex, I just keep them as you do with the normal Pardalis Babcoki or Sulcata. I prefer to keep them indoors when they are babies, to have more control on the temperature and humidity. I try to feed them with wild herbs as much as possible, also give them some Maruzi food, and once a week calcium+D3 and Vitamines. I also like to give them warm water baths every day. And that's it, I would say I keep them as I would keep any other brand of land tortoise.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi Alex, I just keep them as you do with the normal Pardalis Babcoki or Sulcata. I prefer to keep them indoors when they are babies, to have more control on the temperature and humidity. I try to feed them with wild herbs as much as possible, also give them some Maruzi food, and once a week calcium+D3 and Vitamines. I also like to give them warm water baths every day. And that's it, I would say I keep them as I would keep any other brand of land tortoise.
1. What kind of wild herbs do you feed? Mediterranean plants are different from common US or UK plants, so I'm sometimes struggling to find the right ones :)
2. How do you winter them? Indoors or provide insulated night boxes?

victoroko

Spain
1. The herbs I give them are: dandelion, mulberry leaf and vine leaf.
2. Babies are kept indoor in a big PVC terrarium, at 28º Celsius and high humidity. The adults and subaduls stay in the gardon all year, they have a big wooden house at 25ª where go during the night and w

victoroko

Spain
Importation of leopards into the USA was banned in 1998. If it wasn't, we would have this type of tortoise here. Thanks for the offer. Even though we can't have them, we would love to see pics of yours.
Hi Tom, Is the importation of leopards banned also in south America?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom, Is the importation of leopards banned also in south America?
I don't know what the laws for importation are in all the South American countries. I've taken dogs in and out of Mexico, and that was a challenge, but that is as far south as I have been. I've also taken dogs in and out of Morocco, and all the Moroccans were fond of telling us that Spain was only 12 miles away across the ocean and how they liked to go party over there.