Some care related questions for Boxies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charis

5 Year Member
Been reading a lot of care sheets, trying to determine what species of turtle to get. Figured I'd start a thread for any of the questions the care sheets leave me with. First one, half the care sheets say that as long as you can get the turtle some time outside in the sun at least once a week, that is sufficient, no UVA/UVB bulbs necessary. (In an indoor enclosure, obviously) Others seem to feel that 12 to 14 hours of UVA/UVB light 7 days a week is a must. Comments? Opinions? Sure I'll have more questions later but that one will do for now.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Doesn't seem like anyone spotted this.
I don't own boxies currently...
If they even get 1-2 hours of outside time (sun or cloudy), that is as good as all day with a UVB inside, for THAT day.
However, I don't think you can bypass UVB on the days they are not outside.
I think the general philosophy is outside time in a secure enclosure at least over warmer months, inside if they must with UVB the rest of the time. Depends on where you live.
Any other opinions from boxie owners?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I see even us here on the forum have differing opinions on the subject. In the past I never bought UV lights. During the winter when I had tortoises in indoor habitats (which were really outside on the covered car port) I just had regular incandescent bulbs over them. I never had a problem with soft shells or MBD. That led me to opine that a few hours a week of real sunshine tends to hold them over during the dark days. So my opinion is if you can offer real sunshine for about 3 or 4 hours a week it will be enough for the tortoise.

OOPS! Just realized you're talking about box turtles. A whole 'nother subject. In my opinion, box turtles can get their vitamin d from the food they eat, and really don't need a UV bulb. If that bothers you, then I feel you can get by with the lower UV rated tube-type bulb, but not a spiral bulb.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
My opinon is that there is no substuion to real sunshine. Also if it is a box turtle i would get some thing or build something to keep him/her outside because they dont like tanks in my opinon. Also the uvb light bulbs are really handy for aquatic turtles (which i use for mine), but for box turtles like i said outside would be best but during the winter they hibernate so they wouldnt need one unless you dont hibernate yours. SO then that is up to you so besure oyu are ready before you get preration is key. So i hope i was any help to you and good luck with your box turtle when you get him/her they are awsome and really love mine and they make great turtles to keep, raise, and breed.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I keep all my adult box turtles outside. The one's that have to come in for the Winter, that are too young to hibernate outside, I keep in planted vivariums. I use a long tube 5.0 UVB on one side and a low wt. heat emitter on the other side. I'm in New York, and the little ones are inside for almost 6 months with no real sun, so that's why I use the UVB. I've always used glass vivariums for inside. I put in plants for them to hide and on one side a lot of leaf litter to dig into. I put in worms, and pill bugs for them to find. A glass vivarium keeps in the humidity, and easily mimic's their natural environment, while they are inside. Everyone does things differently, and this is just what has worked for me for many years.

Charis

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies! I'm bouncing back and forth on what to get, will probably end up with either an Eastern Boxie or a Russian, or Hermann's tort. At the moment I'm leaning more towards the Boxie. I won't be getting one for at least a year probably, so I'm just trying to become really familiar with the care requirements of the few species that interest me and then wait and see what is available closer to when I can get one. Since I want CB and it seems most of the CB for sale are hatchlings or juvies, I will probably get a young one and have it inside for the first winter, anyway. Not sure exactly, will depend on what I can build but I'm thinking with the predators around here and our cold winters, that I will have an outdoor pen for it to spend the warmer weather days in and an indoor enclosure for the nights and winter. Outdoor space shouldn't be an issue, so the outdoor enclosure will probably be pretty big. I'm still looking at everyone's pictures of their setups and trying to get ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.