South Florida cold snap

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oh the sun, I had almost forgot what that looked like. We have had nothing but cold wet gloom. I can't wait to be a resident of south Flordia. Lol.
Be careful what you wish for. We also have gigantic cockroaches and hurricanes...to name a few of the reasons that I'm moving OUT of Florida.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Yeah, I agree collecting animals in the dark, cold night gets very frustrating….All week in the 50's at night :(.

Zero, cockroaches suck but I don't think I could ever leave Florida. I'm CBB here, and the scorching sun and humid air is my home :). Plus, there is no better place in the country to raise turtles and tortoises.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I'm with Pete. After too many cold northern winters to count I will risk a roach or two and a hurricane.
Florida has become my home and there's no going back to the north for me!
The weather is reason I have tortoises and turtles. They can be outside year round in a (somewhat) natural environment.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I'm with Pete. After too many cold northern winters to count I will risk a roach or two and a hurricane.
Florida has become my home and there's no going back to the north for me!
The weather is reason I have tortoises and turtles. They can be outside year round in a (somewhat) natural environment.

I actually don't think I've weathered a bad hurricane in a while….Andrew was before me, and then Katrina came through when I was out of town. It picked up our shed though and set it down in the pool, haha. Keep feeling like South FL is due for a nasty one anytime soon…..
Guessing you mean it by "sub-tropical paradise" ;).

Roaches are definitely my worst fear of Florida though. My sister's too. I cannot tell you how many times I hear my sister's feral screams echo throughout the house when we find a roach that somehow got into the silver wear drawer. Then again you feel overwhelming satisfaction when you crush them with a shoe, or chop them into tiny roach bits in the sink disposal.
Yeah, I'm creepy :p.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Be careful what you wish for. We also have gigantic cockroaches and hurricanes...to name a few of the reasons that I'm moving OUT of Florida.

I use to live in a trailer park, I owned my trailer but didn't have land. So my trailer was nice and I busted my butt to keep it that way. Well all the nasty people around me didn't care how they lived apparently cause a person would move out and I would see a roach, I would spray or bomb my house. The last winter I lived there like 5 different people moved out and I think every single roach each of them had came to my house. Nothing I did worked until I read an article online about this paste. I got online and ordered it. It arrived and that night I started putting it out as the directions said to. I literally watched the roaches come to it and fed. Within 2 wks, no roaches. So I can handle the roach issue. As for the Hurricanes, well I will have to cross that bridge when it comes because I have no real experience with that.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Every place has its issues. I was here during Andrew & sure it
was 3 weeks without electicity. We had to go to other areas looking
for food since there was no refrigeration. Katrina knocked down
my back fence. At least our homes are made with concrete and
shutters or impact windows. Not to mention our crazy homeowners
insurance prices. At least you have several days notice when a hurricane is coming. Thats when the news anchors start saying
"hunker down" we always get a laugh at that !
I still wouldnt leave. The idea of a basement sounds nice but
if they flood, not so good. (no basements in FL)

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Every place has its issues. I was here during Andrew & sure it
was 3 weeks without electicity. We had to go to other areas looking
for food since there was no refrigeration. Katrina knocked down
my back fence. At least our homes are made with concrete and
shutters or impact windows. Not to mention our crazy homeowners
insurance prices. At least you have several days notice when a hurricane is coming. Thats when the news anchors start saying
"hunker down" we always get a laugh at that !
I still wouldnt leave. The idea of a basement sounds nice but
if they flood, not so good. (no basements in FL)

A basement would soon become an indoor pond.

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
Talk about cold fronts...It was down to 39 degrees in South Florida last night. My RT has been in a 55 gallon tub with a 75 watt basking light during the day. At night he's in the house which is about 68 (I've never used my heat and not sure if it would even work). He seems to be doing good and is eating more than every. Also gets a daily soak since the only water I keep in it is in his food dish under his food.

tortlover15

Lord I would pay for those kinda temps. We got almost 18" snow dumped on us in a 2 day period and our night temps been running in single digits, the chill factor some nights dropping us into negatives. It literally hurts to be outside. I do believe their calling for today to b around mid 30s tho, can't fuss about that.