Speke's Hingeback babies - more pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Sorry for the poor quality of these pics. I'll post better pics soon...

Attachments

• Spek2sm.jpg
    Spek2sm.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Spek5sm.jpg
    Spek5sm.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Spek4sm.jpg
    Spek4sm.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 60

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Very nice! No we want details, how many eggs in the clutch? How long did it take? How did you incubate them? You know ALL the details. :D

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Ok, here goes. There were 6 eggs to start which represented 2 clutches of 3 eggs each. I tried a conventional incubation regimen - 86F, in moist vermiculite without any success. After 8 - 10 weeks, none of the eggs showed any development.

I've had good success over the years with Pyxis tortoises so putting eggs through a diapause is something I'm comfortable with. I had gotten the adults from Michael Ogle and the diapause was his suggestion. So I moved the eggs into the wine cooler I use for Pyxis eggs.

One of the eggs fell apart during the diapause leaving 5 eggs. I warmed the rest up after 8 weeks to mid 80's again. After 3-4 weeks, I began to see early signs of development in 4 of the remaining 5 eggs. After a few more weeks, the undeveloped egg fell apart as well.

Development progressed in the remaining 4 eggs. Unfortunately, 2 of the eggs developed cracks, so I presume that I was keeping them too moist. I didn't identify the crack early enough in one egg and it was lost. Thankfully, the other egg wasn't bad and I covered that crack with a steri-strip and that egg did just fine.

One of the eggs pipped last week. That hatchling had a large yolk remaining so he got set up in a cup with moist paper towel and he resorbed the entire yolk no problem. He weighed in at 18 gms. The egg with the crack/steri-strip pipped away from the crack. He emerged with the yolk completely resorbed and weighed 22 grams. Big baby.

I still have one egg yet to pip. It developed fine though so I will not trouble it for now.

That's the story. 9 months from start to finish. Hopefully, if I get eggs this season, I will have better success. I've seen a ton of breeding activity so my fingers are crossed.

Can't wait for another chance!

Will...

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
Thanks for the info and congrats on the hatching!

Status
Not open for further replies.