spring 2022

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
meteorological spring , our calendar spring is like march 21rst ......... big difference over the last 2 weeks , snow is almost completely gone ......

DSCF8534_(2).jpg
DSCF8599-2.jpg

this thirty gallon cement tub and diy filter was buried under 2-3 feet of snow for more than a month , no heater , just the heat from a small submersible pump......... it's been running for 2 straight winters

DSCF8590.jpg

DSCF8592-2.jpg

DSCF8607-2.jpg

DSCF8610-2.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
we got to 70 yesterday , this guy was out so i brought him in , probably never went too deep , warmed up quicker cause of his size , he may not know , but winter will be back here ..... most likely he'd dig back down and survive the rest of it , but he did well , he's pretty small , surprised i saw him ........ wood turtles and the adult box turtles knew not to come out.......

DSCF8629-2.jpg

blandings turtle are always out, almost year round

DSCF8627-2.jpg

DSCF8616-2.jpg

DSCF8618-2.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
ground temp has been 50-52 F for 4 days , i'd think another couple warm days and some box turtles will show up ....... ground here at this time of year is usually around 40 F ..... wood turtles been out since last week ..........
DSCF8641-2.jpg

DSCF8668-2.jpg

DSCF8679-2.jpg

small box turtle that came out a couple weeks ago during a few day warm spell...... this would be my reason i hibernate my turtles , he looks great ...

DSCF8696-2.jpg

DSCF8697-2.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Wow you have both Blandings and Woods!! Those are some of my favorites.

i started keeping native turtles in 2000 , i had had all these type turtles as a kid , i always liked seeing them ......you need a license here , i had thought it would be a problem , turned out it's easy in ohio , unless your selling or transferring ownership of them ....
No Box Turtles spotted yet here in Maryland, but like Len, the locals are up & basking.

View attachment 342073View attachment 342074

the instability/fluctuation of river temps over ground temps can be pretty radical here, last week one day it was 70 , 2 days later it was 14 ........ the river by me is pretty shallow and can change temps 10 degrees in 12hrs easily .....what type of turtles are those ? the large one looks like a red eared ?
We had some warm weather too. Haven't seen any box turtles but all the local water turtles have been active.

usually here it's mid april , seems this year is going to be early , we had a long stretch of thick snow cover in february , seems it kept the ground pretty warm ......... this 20 gallon cement mixing tub sunk in the ground ran all winter buried under 2-3 feet of snow , it's now ran 2yrs straight , i think the average temp for feb. 2022 here was 28F ....... i also had the little box turtle come out 2-3 weeks ago , he had to not be very deep ......

DSCF8701.jpg

tub is right between these two post
DSCF8534-2.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
this guy should be happy i spotted him 3-4 weeks ago, this is the time of year that's tough on them, here ... he obviously wasn't very deep and came out on a 74F day at the end of a 3 day warm spell ........ was 16F this morning , we haven't been above freezing since last week , tomorrow is supposed to be 70F , next week 23F.......... these guys amaze me , can't wait to see the adults come out .....

DSCF8711-2.jpg

DSCF8695-2.jpg

DSCF8708-2.jpg

DSCF8704-2.jpg

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Boy, that little Box turtle looks fantastic!

I recently watch a documentary about Blandings up in Nova Scotia ....native up there but of course, declining populations mostly due to fragmentation but what a cool turtle......and you've got a whole colony!

Very cool!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

I recently watch a documentary about Blandings up in Nova Scotia ....native up there but of course, declining populations mostly due to fragmentation but what a cool turtle......and you've got a whole colony!

Very cool!
I thought the same thing...they are really cool lookin...

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio

Very cool!
the little box turtle is doing great , i'm a bit partial to him because his light shell is an anomaly here , i'm intersted in seeing how it turns out ...... i left him out the first year until late december , this year i left him out until early march , i'd have left him out all year but he came out during a warm spell in early march , which is too early here for box turtles .....

DSCF8713-2.jpg

i had a blanding's turtle when i was a kid ...... they are declining here also ..... i believe the only place they are doing well is nebraska ? i've only had them for 8yrs , 7 of 10 were all hatchlings when i got them ..... their cold tolerance has to be near the top of any reptile , they are active almost all winter , only thing they don't do is eat ...... was 29 degrees this morning and 40 when i took these pics this afternoon ......
DSCF8727-2.jpg

DSCF8719-2.jpg

DSCF8718-2.jpg

DSCF8725-2.jpg

was 30F when i seen this girl out in the sun........ the wood turtles came out the water mid march ....

DSCF8715-2.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
the little box turtle is doing great , i'm a bit partial to him because his light shell is an anomaly here , i'm intersted in seeing how it turns out ...... i left him out the first year until late december , this year i left him out until early march , i'd have left him out all year but he came out during a warm spell in early march , which is too early here for box turtles .....

DSCF8713-2.jpg

i had a blanding's turtle when i was a kid ...... they are declining here also ..... i believe the only place they are doing well is nebraska ? i've only had them for 8yrs , 7 of 10 were all hatchlings when i got them ..... their cold tolerance has to be near the top of any reptile , they are active almost all winter , only thing they don't do is eat ...... was 29 degrees this morning and 40 when i took these pics this afternoon ......
DSCF8727-2.jpg

DSCF8719-2.jpg

DSCF8718-2.jpg

DSCF8725-2.jpg

was 30F when i seen this girl out in the sun........ the wood turtles came out the water mid march ....

DSCF8715-2.jpg
That would scare the heck outta me...I'd be soaking her in warm water lol

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
48F and sunny today
three 6yr old wood turtles were out the water today, i threw them some worms , first time they ate in 6 months .... first look i really got at them , they look in excellent health ....
DSCF8759-2.jpg

guy on the brick is 8yrs old , the 2 girls behind him are 7yrs old
DSCF8750-2.jpg

bought this one 4yrs ago , don't know the age , probably at least 6yrs .... i find the 3 i got from GS to be really pretty , the difference to the hatchlings i raised is really clear .......
DSCF8744-2.jpg

DSCF8742-2.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
was like 20F last monday , today it's supposed to be around 80 , 70-80 for the next 3 days ....... enough box turtles have come out , i dug up all i could find today and soaked them in the sun for a few hours , then put them back in the leaf pile ....... some of them were pretty deep , their spots were still pretty cold (insulated well) .......
DSCF8787_(2).jpg

this guy has survived here a long time , he was real deep ...... he been here through some brutal winters ....... i was glad to see him .....

DSCF8788_(2).jpg

put this guy back outside today , found him wandering around march 6th ......

DSCF8794_(2).jpg

DSCF8795_(2).jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
got to be 87F last sunday , everybody was out , got down to the 30's wednesday thursday and friday , friday was 27F ...... today 65F and i believe it's gonna be spring here this time .....

DSCF8831_(2).jpg

DSCF8813_(2).jpg

DSCF8809-2.jpg

DSCF8824-2.jpg