Squash anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I do have another question, how often is too often for feeding squash to three month old sulcatas? My garden has lots of yellow squash, similar to the green zuchinni but yellow. I have given my three tortoises some squash everyday for four days straight. They love squash, it is their favorite. They like it more than anything else. They do eat lots of grass, dandelions, weeds, spring mix and some kale and collards. They also get Mazuri twice a week but I did not know if I need to limit the squash intake. Anyone is welcomed to answer. I need all of your expert advice. Thanks so much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ha! I have to stop laughing first...

In my humble, polite, and softly spoken opinion, there is not really a right or wrong answer to this. If its a small percentage of the daily diet, I don't think it will hurt anything. If you fed nothing but squash every day, well that might be a problem. I feed some nice or twice a month, but if I had more I might feed more. I toss it into the adults pen all the time, but a whole squash is like two bites for them out of the hundreds of grazing bites they will take that day. My adults get whole pumpkins two or three times a week from November to February or March.

From everything that I've been able to gather over the years, sulcatas are really great big garbage disposals. They seem to be able to eat anything and do just fine. I'm not saying we shouldn't try for an "optimal" diet for them, it's just that I have seen and heard all sorts of "horror" stories and the tortoise seem fine.

To give you a more precise answer, I would say two or three times a week, mixed in with other stuff, is what I would recommend as a maximum. Maybe you should call a vet to get a more professional answer...

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I don't know how much I would trust the vet in my area, very little hands on experience. I do appreciate your help. I will continue to feed them the squash. The four days straight was just one week. They usually get it every other day but I read a thread about favorite food and thought that I would ask. Also, they each get two small pieces when I give it or sometimes one small piece. I try not to give them too much of any one item except for when they are outside and then they are free to graze on the grass and weeds as much as they want. Thanks so much for your professional opinion.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Tom said:
Ha! I have to stop laughing first...

In my humble, polite, and softly spoken opinion, there is not really a right or wrong answer to this. If its a small percentage of the daily diet, I don't think it will hurt anything. If you fed nothing but squash every day, well that might be a problem. I feed some nice or twice a month, but if I had more I might feed more. I toss it into the adults pen all the time, but a whole squash is like two bites for them out of the hundreds of grazing bites they will take that day. My adults get whole pumpkins two or three times a week from November to February or March.

From everything that I've been able to gather over the years, sulcatas are really great big garbage disposals. They seem to be able to eat anything and do just fine. I'm not saying we shouldn't try for an "optimal" diet for them, it's just that I have seen and heard all sorts of "horror" stories and the tortoise seem fine.

To give you a more precise answer, I would say two or three times a week, mixed in with other stuff, is what I would recommend as a maximum. Maybe you should call a vet to get a more professional answer...

HAHAHA! LMAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.