Squeaky Greek :(

Payney1701

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello,

my baby Greek has started to squeak, at first I thought the worst and assumed RI so rushed him down the vet for a course of antibiotics now I'm not so sure. He only seems to start squeaking after he has eaten (and he does love to eat) I thought he might be chocking at first as he also starts scratching at his mouth. He will do this for about 5 mins then for a good few hours he will do little squeaks and rub his face.

He is pooping and urinating normally and rushes over to the food when I put it down. I am giving him his antibiotics (baytril) in his daily bath as he hardly ever goes near his drinking bowl, also there is no discharge or bubbles coming from his nose.

I am nearly at the end of the treatment the vet gave so will probably be back there in a couple of days.

any advice you can give would be much appreciated!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Does he just have audible breathing/ a bit of wheezing? That could be completely normal. Mine does it after he eats too. Maybe eating is an exhausting activity for them?
Could we see a picture of your enclosure?
What are your temps and humidity?
Have you seen a decrease in activity or eating?
Did the vet give any diagnosis?

Payney1701

London
thanks for getting back to me, after he has these big squeaking sessions I can hear tiny little squeaks every now and again some times they will wake him up. I have made a few changes to his table over the last week as I was worried the humidity might be to low for him. I have just purchased a digital reader this morning and where he likes to nap is reading 32.2 C (90F) and humidity is 53% he was a bit sluggish the first couple of days but now he's back to his old self on the hunt for food making a mess. I have started to poor water over his substrate every few days and mix it in by hand, before then I was just misting twice a day. in his hides I have sphagnum moss which I also dampen every other day. the far end of the table is reading 24C

Attachments

• IMG_8333.JPG
    IMG_8333.JPG
    962.7 KB · Views: 19

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
thanks for getting back to me, after he has these big squeaking sessions I can hear tiny little squeaks every now and again some times they will wake him up. I have made a few changes to his table over the last week as I was worried the humidity might be to low for him. I have just purchased a digital reader this morning and where he likes to nap is reading 32.2 C (90F) and humidity is 53% he was a bit sluggish the first couple of days but now he's back to his old self on the hunt for food making a mess. I have started to poor water over his substrate every few days and mix it in by hand, before then I was just misting twice a day. in his hides I have sphagnum moss which I also dampen every other day. the far end of the table is reading 24C

I would just watch and make sure you see no bubbles and that he’s eating and active. You should also wait for a second opinion from another member :)