Star Tortoise Paludarium

clayjen

Location (City and/or State)
Chattanooga
I have a pair of star tortoises housed the majority of the time indoors. Is it safe to add a paludarium to their enclosure. More like a flat rocky stream (Just trickling water running over flat rocks, nothing elaborate.) Maybe I could put their water dish at the end for soaking. Thoughts?
Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to make thier enclosure a bit more stimulating. Are there any other reptiles or amphibians I can add to the enclosure?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. Some pictures of your tortoises and the enclosure would be helpful if you would like to get our expert keepers to comment and offer their advice.

clayjen

Chattanooga
I have a pair of star tortoises housed the majority of the time indoors. Is it safe to add a paludarium to their enclosure. More like a flat rocky stream (Just trickling water running over flat rocks, nothing elaborate.) Maybe I could put their water dish at the end for soaking. Thoughts?
Thanks for the feedback. I am trying to make thier enclosure a bit more stimulating. Are there any other reptiles or amphibians I can add to the enclosure?
Hi- yes here are a couple of pics. The enclosure is approx 8'-6" long x 3' wide. I marked a blue line where I was thinking of putting it.

Attachments

• 20230715_162125.jpg
    20230715_162125.jpg
    774.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230715_154002.jpg
    20230715_154002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230715_153955.jpg
    20230715_153955.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230715_153943.jpg
    20230715_153943.jpg
    988.3 KB · Views: 19

clayjen

Chattanooga
Hi- following up on if installing a narrow shallow paludarium would be ok for my star tortoises? Can any other reptiles be put in with them? What plants are safe to put in their enclosure? Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi- yes here are a couple of pics. The enclosure is approx 8'-6" long x 3' wide. I marked a blue line where I was thinking of putting it.
That's really nice. Are you the talented builder?

clayjen

Chattanooga
I do enjoy building, I was thinking of putting a second level below. Anything for these guys!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I can't answer your question about the plants, but its really an impressive build job, congrats.

Do you have two in there? If so I'd split it into two sections so they are separate.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Yes, they cannot be kept in pairs. One will be aggressive to another, in ways which most people don't recognize as bullying. Eventually one will become big and strong, and the other will stay small and weak and not thrive. The male will most likely bully/pester the female to death.

Please read this as a good place to start:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You could, but it will be a constant mess. They will forever be tracking substrate and poop into it, but it would be super cool if you don't mind cleaning it all out every day.

Tortoises should never be housed in pairs. Groups can work, but never pairs.

Species should never be mixed. You should not add any other animals of any kind to the enclosure.

clayjen

Chattanooga
Yes, they cannot be kept in pairs. One will be aggressive to another, in ways which most people don't recognize as bullying. Eventually one will become big and strong, and the other will stay small and weak and not thrive. The male will most likely bully/pester the female to death.

Please read this as a good place to start:
Thanks for the info, I'll start building a space for my boy tomorrow!