Still passing gritty urates

yay14

Location (City and/or State)
stockholm
Not sure exactly what could be the cause of that...
Did you try feeding him aloe, cucumber and cactus? Maybe he is not hydrated enough?
No i havent yet, and i would find it very hard to belive hes dehydrated. He has good humidity, soaked everyday for 30 minutes, accses to a water bowl and i spray his food with water. Do you think it could be that this gritty ones are just old one that built up in his body from before and did not pass until now?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
No i havent yet, and i would find it very hard to belive hes dehydrated. He has good humidity, soaked everyday for 30 minutes, accses to a water bowl and i spray his food with water. Do you think it could be that this gritty ones are just old one that built up in his body from before and did not pass until now?
It could be, but I would still try and feed some cactus if you could. Has a lot of calcium in it too. And keep monitoring his urates.

yay14

stockholm
It could be, but I would still try and feed some cactus if you could. Has a lot of calcium in it too. And keep monitoring his urates.
I deffiantly will, but if no more gritty ones come then that should be pretty good that thats the case right?

But also to confirm when his urates finally are smooth that means hes completely returned to health right?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
I deffiantly will, but if no more gritty ones come then that should be pretty good that thats the case right?

But also to confirm when his urates finally are smooth that means hes completely returned to health right?
Yes if urates are becoming smoother that's a good sign he is getting more hydrated.

yay14

stockholm
Yes if urates are becoming smoother that's a good sign he is getting more hydrated.
Well as i said i dont think it's hydration thats the was problem but the things i fed him but anyways yeah good to know :) and also when theyre completely smooth that mean hes completely returned to health?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Well as i said i dont think it's hydration thats the was problem but the things i fed him but anyways yeah good to know :) and also when theyre completely smooth that mean hes completely returned to health?
Yes it would mean improvement in his health.

yay14

stockholm
Yes it would mean improvement in his health.
Btw that picture i posted, about the little thing in the urates, ist that a fully formed bladder stone or just urate. it's so small so i am guessing urate but what do you think?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Btw that picture i posted, about the little thing in the urates, ist that a fully formed bladder stone or just urate. it's so small so i am guessing urate but what do you think?
I think bladder stones are big solidified urates, so essentially they are the same. It's good that it was passed, instead of stuck in the bladder.
What are you currently feeding him? (diet can cause urates as well).

yay14

stockholm
I think bladder stones are big solidified urates, so essentially they are the same. It's good that it was passed, instead of stuck in the bladder.
What are you currently feeding him? (diet can cause urates as well).
Yea i am not sure if what was passed is big enough to be considered a bladder stone, it was only a milimeter.

What i am currently feeding is, Roddichio, endive, arugula, kale, 5 different weeds, mazuri and grass. During the summer he gets more weeds and flowers but i cant give him that during these moths due to climate. But i have been feeding this for a couple of months and never had a problem until I introduced those dried nettles, so that why i am so sure it was them, since the gritty urates also slowed down extremely when i stopped feeding them. So my best guess since these gritty ones have only come once it means they're just old buildup from former problems.

yay14

stockholm
Ok i have no idea what to do, i just came home and he had passed some urates that wre pritty gritty and had one of those small stones in it, not big enough to be considered a bladder stone though, i really don't know what the problem is. He can't be dehydrated, there is not anything wrong with his diet and if it was the diet thats the problem, those problems would have come earlier. He's not to cold either. I mean i guess he could be getting to much supplement but i don't know.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Ok i have no idea what to do, i just came home and he had passed some urates that wre pritty gritty and had one of those small stones in it, not big enough to be considered a bladder stone though, i really don't know what the problem is. He can't be dehydrated, there is not anything wrong with his diet and if it was the diet thats the problem, those problems would have come
Try stopping all supplements for a few weeks and see if there's any difference.

yay14

stockholm
Try stopping all supplements for a few weeks and see if there's any difference.
Yea that might be a good idea, but wont that affect him poorly? also i can still give him his liquid vitamins right?
Also if this is the case and the urates start smoothing up or dissapear, its as easy as to just adjust the amount of suplementation i give him and make sure he has no more bladder stones inside him, and if thats the case he's compltely returend to heath and everythings fine?

Last edited:

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Yea that might be a good idea, but wont that affect him poorly? also i can still give him his liquid vitamins right?
Also if this is the case and the urates start smoothing up or dissapear, its as easy as to just adjust the amount of suplementation i give him and make sure he has no more bladder stones inside him, and if thats the case he's compltely returend to heath and everythings fine?
He gets plenty of vitamins from his food, so you can stop the liquid vitamins for a few weeks. I would just do calcium 1-2 times a week and nothing else for now and see what happens.

yay14

stockholm
Ok so i am fairly certain the problem has been to much supplementation since not only was i giving 3 times a week, i was also sprinkling way to much on the food. So now do you guys think it would be a good idea to do something like regular calcium 1 time a week and miner-all 1 time a week and make sure i don't sprinkle nearly as much, since then he will get calcium d3 and vitamins but not to much, also should i in this case also be using the bird vitamins? Further more unfotunetly his current diet is mostly grocery store stuff becuse of climate, but that will change soon enough, Will this supplementattion work with a diet like that?

yay14

stockholm
@harrythetortoise so with that supplementation schedule mentioned above do you think things should work out if excessive supplementation was the problem that lead do gritty urates?

harrythetortoise

Virginia
@harrythetortoise so with that supplementation schedule mentioned above do you think things should work out if excessive supplementation was the problem that lead do gritty urates?
It’s hard to tell at this point since we don’t know what the cause is, but changing supplement schedule is definitely something worth trying. If you notice an improvement in the urates then it is likely the oversupplementation was contributing to the urates.

yay14

stockholm
It’s hard to tell at this point since we don’t know what the cause is, but changing supplement schedule is definitely something worth trying. If you notice an improvement in the urates then it is likely the oversupplementation was contributing to the urates.
Well ever since i changed the supplementation schedule there has been no more urates, so i feel like it's pretty safe to say that was the problem, but from what it seems that problem is thankfully gone now. I am just also going to feed some cucumber and stuff so incase he has any stones inside him currently they should pass. But if i give him the cucumber and he has nothing to pass, that should mean hes completely returned to health right since theres no more urates or stones.