Store bought greens????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
You can play the 'this is a bad idea because' bit for almost anything. I can find a negative to grocery store greens, organic greens, lawn clippings, typical garden produce, most planted pens, etc. I sort of blame the media in part for the 'this is going to kill you' hype, but adults almost always look for and emphasis the downsides of most issues.

Most captive tortoises and humans eat grocery store greens, usually totally unwashed, and do not show any real issues from it. Torts are also pretty dang resistant to a lot of chemicals and toxins.

Treat your greens in the way that makes you happy. My personal preference- if I do anything at all- is to soak them in a large, deep container of very cold water with a cap full of vinegar for about 15-30 minutes to remove surface residue and dirt, and to rehydrate the tissues. Dry the leaves and store in a cold but humid location using whatever method works for you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I personally only feed certified organic when I supplement that is.... I have done loads of research and this is what is comfortable with me.

However, my CDTs 90% of the time graze on the native and grown weeds here on the property in their yards, now around end of July through Sept I will offer these items to them....romaine, red leaf lettuce, watermelon(only a few times), squash, all the dandelion greens and flowers they can possibly stand, cactus, hibiscus leaves and flowers, rose leaves and flowers, holly hock leaves and flowers, mulberry tree leaves, elm tree leaves, mimosa tree leaves....:D

I will also offer a couple times Avocado, grapes and cantaloup. Since they have a good variety these things word out well for us... :D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
katherine said:
DeanS said:
A lot of people don't realize that when you mow your lawn, you can feed the clippings to your tortoises...or at least mix them in with your soaked Mazuri.

My tortoises mow my lawn directly haha; its a rare day we have to break out the mower! I would worry about lawn mower fumes and mold just because lawn mower grass = HUGE no no at the horse barn I volunteer at; I assume you recommend it bc you have never had any problems? Curious if you dry it first or feed it right away?

I always feed it right away...and sometimes I'll spread a one to two inch layer inside their TORTOISE HOUSE. Then the little ones can eat it, burrow in it or whatever they want for a week. It NEVER has molded up on me. When I do put grass in their HOUSES, it's when I'm boiling their coir/bark.

Katherine

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
I always feed it right away...and sometimes I'll spread a one to two inch layer inside the Tortoise House. Then the little ones can eat it, burrow in it or whatever they want for a week. It NEVER has molded up on me.

Awesome good to know. Mine have successfully killed all the grass in their 'houses' (a lot of them dig) and I am sure they will appreciate a layer of fresh clipped grass in there; always been nervous to try it. May give it a go later this week when we warm up a tad : ) thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.