Strange question, I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachamelia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, South Carolina
At the flea market near my home there is a man that sells reptiles (of ALL kinds) ...snakes, geckos, turtles, different lizards, and sadly two tiny baby sullys :( ... he is keeping them BOTH in a small like cricket keeper :( :( ... They are approx the size of an egg. All of the animals are subjected to poor care and his smoking in the "store". I would love to get them all away from him and find them great homes, as it is i am thinking of adopting the gecko and getting it out. I cannot afford the sullys, he is asking $125 each :( :( .... bottom line...if you want to somehow help, or are near the area and would be interested in adopting/rescuing one please let me know

There was also a red foot in an enclosure that wasn't big enough for him to even change direction :( :( :(

oh, last time i was there he also was selling baby crocs and prairie dogs....HOW IS THIS LEGAL?!?!?

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Wow! It never ceases to amaze me how people's greed can cause them to keep animals in the most terrible situations just so they can make a buck. Maybe you could call animal control or police in your area. I don't know. A pet store near me (that has long been closed) used to have a small monkey in an aquarium that had blood splats all over it from the monkey's tail (which was swollen and bloody at the tip) always smacking into it. I was a child and didn't know people could get in trouble for that, but every time I hear a story like yours I think of that monkey and I want so desperately to help those animals in honor of that monkey. I would really think and hope that the law could do something about this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How would someone go about "adopting" or " rescuing" these tortoises when the man is selling them for $125?

If you buy these animals to "rescue" them, he will use that money to buy five more and treat them the same way.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Remember that if he is selling at a flea market, those are show tanks and "carry away" cases. They may be raised and kept in great conditions.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
no different then the reptile shows Ive seen pictures of here... snakes in tupperware containers.. sad. but its for the show.. I can only hoep for them and the torts at the flea market, they have a better place to live while Not on display.....the big thing is does he know proper care and does he educate buyers??

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sad in deed. Let's hope it is just for the flea market and not their every day life. Now, I think you should try and find that out. Is it there every day life or just for the flea market. Then if he really dose take bad care of them. Well, then I think you should kindly try to educate him. If this doesn't help, then you need to call Animal care and control in your area or any other Animal rights group you have in your area. But I don't think you have the right to not do anything. Sorry, don't mean to offend. But to complain and not try to help the animals, is really, in my opinion, almost as bad as what he is doing. Closed eyes and turned backs, never helps anything or anyone. A few kind suggestions may just turn those animals lives around and doesn't cost you a dime. Again, sorry if this is coming off harsh or offending, I don't mean to be.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
In the past i had two reserved tables at the White plains ny, and Pottstown p.a. and the Hamburg p.a. Reptile shows for 8 or so years. I would sell what I bred. Poison dart frogs, bearded dragons, geckos, milksnakes, salamanders, uromastyx, etc... I displayed them in deli cups and 10 gallon aquariums. It may seem cramped but they are often comfortable that way. Also that is what I would ship them in. The reason I left the business after 20+ years is the customers. I realized no one loves them like I do. No one collected termites from dead trees to feed their frogs. No one would spend hours making fruitfly cultures. The animals were no more than a passing interest to most people. And so, many probably died due to neglect. People would come to my table and say things like, "what's the cheapest thing you got?".
Disgusted, I retired from something that I was very good at and loved so much. I miss it. But when people who live in apartments buy sulcatas or caimans and think they will be able to care for this animal properly...it's not ok. Sorry for the rant ;-)

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Zamric said:
Remember that if he is selling at a flea market, those are show tanks and "carry away" cases. They may be raised and kept in great conditions.

I was going to say something like that. Like at a reptile show most animals are kept in a small container just for the show then returned to there enclosure. Although i find all stores here keep torts in a bad homes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A good breeder of anything in my eyes, is one that will pass on a sale and making a buck for the sake of the animal. Just that bad gut feeling you get usually with the first words out of their ignorant mouths should, be enough to say, sorry I can't sell you this animal. Those people that give you that gut feeling, no nothing about keeping the animal let alone loving it. It's just something cool or cute and neither with these kind of people last long. That was actually the easiest part of selling my puppies when I was a breeder. I had no problem telling them I couldn't sell them one of my puppies and no problem telling them why!

rachamelia

5 Year Member
Tom said:
How would someone go about "adopting" or " rescuing" these tortoises when the man is selling them for $125?

If you buy these animals to "rescue" them, he will use that money to buy five more and treat them the same way.

Yeah, ok, let's just do nothing and let these few die. They don't count, right?!??? I am at least TRYING to do something and reached out to the forum for advice and help.

Linzbragg said:
Wow! It never ceases to amaze me how people's greed can cause them to keep animals in the most terrible situations just so they can make a buck. Maybe you could call animal control or police in your area. I don't know. A pet store near me (that has long been closed) used to have a small monkey in an aquarium that had blood splats all over it from the monkey's tail (which was swollen and bloody at the tip) always smacking into it. I was a child and didn't know people could get in trouble for that, but every time I hear a story like yours I think of that monkey and I want so desperately to help those animals in honor of that monkey. I would really think and hope that the law could do something about this.

From what i have been told, animal control knows and won't do anything :(

Zamric said:

No....you spend 5 mins talking to him and it's clear he has no clue. on top of that, there are ALOT of ppl around here that state how horribly he treats them :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Even though it offended you, my point still stands.

... and so does my question.

If these two don't sell and eventually die from poor care, the man will lose his money and not buy any more. If you buy these two, out of pity or whatever, he will get more than two more and all of these will suffer the same fate. I have seen this many times. Stick around long enough and you will too. Barb's advice of talking to the man is about the best you can do. This usually fails, but every once in a while a person can be reached. It's worth a try.

rachamelia

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Sad in deed. Let's hope it is just for the flea market and not their every day life. Now, I think you should try and find that out. Is it there every day life or just for the flea market. Then if he really dose take bad care of them. Well, then I think you should kindly try to educate him. If this doesn't help, then you need to call Animal care and control in your area or any other Animal rights group you have in your area. But I don't think you have the right to not do anything. Sorry, don't mean to offend. But to complain and not try to help the animals, is really, in my opinion, almost as bad as what he is doing. Closed eyes and turned backs, never helps anything or anyone. A few kind suggestions may just turn those animals lives around and doesn't cost you a dime. Again, sorry if this is coming off harsh or offending, I don't mean to be.

As i have said, animal control apparently knows and has YET to do anything. The guy knows Nothing about them, and doesn't care to learn. I am doing what i can. that's all i can do.

wellington said:
A good breeder of anything in my eyes, is one that will pass on a sale and making a buck for the sake of the animal. Just that bad gut feeling you get usually with the first words out of their ignorant mouths should, be enough to say, sorry I can't sell you this animal. Those people that give you that gut feeling, no nothing about keeping the animal let alone loving it. It's just something cool or cute and neither with these kind of people last long. That was actually the easiest part of selling my puppies when I was a breeder. I had no problem telling them I couldn't sell them one of my puppies and no problem telling them why!

I have been a vet tech for almost 10 years and u r right. You see this kind of thing no matter the species all too often. this guy has them all in.tiny dirty conditions and smokes constantly around them...it's hard for me to breath in the booth!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't comment on prairie dogs, but selling baby crocs for the most part is legal, how do you think the urban myth of crocodiles living in new york sewers got started? Just FYI you are not adopting or rescuing these animals you would be buying them and he would more than likely use the money to buy more to sell, viscous circle. If you and others want to buy them and give them good homes fell free, but he will just replace them with more animals to sell.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
acrantophis said:
In the past i had two reserved tables at the White plains ny, and Pottstown p.a. and the Hamburg p.a. Reptile shows for 8 or so years. I would sell what I bred. Poison dart frogs, bearded dragons, geckos, milksnakes, salamanders, uromastyx, etc... I displayed them in deli cups and 10 gallon aquariums. It may seem cramped but they are often comfortable that way. Also that is what I would ship them in. The reason I left the business after 20+ years is the customers. I realized no one loves them like I do. No one collected termites from dead trees to feed their frogs. No one would spend hours making fruitfly cultures. The animals were no more than a passing interest to most people. And so, many probably died due to neglect. People would come to my table and say things like, "what's the cheapest thing you got?".
Disgusted, I retired from something that I was very good at and loved so much. I miss it. But when people who live in apartments buy sulcatas or caimans and think they will be able to care for this animal properly...it's not ok. Sorry for the rant ;-)

Thank you for sharing a "sellers" side of the story. I think it's important to hear your side. We obviously can't hear this guys story whatever it may be...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you know that animal control knows about him or have you heard. The only way to know for sure is to call them yourself. If you can get enough people to call and complain, like all the ones you said had nothing good to say about this guy. Really, how do people say those things and just keep walking and ignoring, kinda sick to me, any way, enough complaints and they have to do something and if they don't you go over their heads. Do you not have any no kill animal shelters in your area, reptile rescue groups, tortoise rescue groups? Any of them can help you even if it is in advice of how to go about shutting this guy down or making him higher his standard of care. There are so many things that can be done to try and help not only the animals he has now but those in the near future. It takes some work but you in the end would be helping more lives then just the couple you want to buy. Which, sorry again it to harsh, but buying them is taking the easy way out and not really helping the ones you aren't buying or those to come in their place.
I no it's hard to resist the buy to save mentality, but because people don't resist it, we still have puppy mills, kitten mills, pet stores selling sick puppies and kittens, heartless animal brokers and poor caring conditions in the housing of all of these animals.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Go stand by his stand and tell any potential customers what a d-bag he is and for them to not help promote him by buying his animals. After a while of not making a dollar and wasting all that time maybe you can drive him to a new product at the flea market like Avon beer mugs or something.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I think heckling his customers, well to him it would be heckling, to you it's informing, would be a good approach. If I was looking a flea market animals and someone spoke with even a little knowledge in their tone I would listen to them over the vendor. Bring up points like "This guy is selling sick animals and will die soon in your care." or "you can get one for cheaper at BLANK, down the street from somebody more knowledgeable." tell people not to waste their money on his animals, even the people who obviously just looking with no intentions to buy anything. The more bad publicity he gets, the sooner he will pack up and move on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Although I don't really think the heckling will do much for the animals care once he packs up and leaves, it is something. However, you could also print up, something about his care ethics of his animals and pass them out to everyone in the flea market you can get to take one. I would also print up some good care info, put as much correct info you can to better their lives that you could hand off to the guy himself. Let him know, that if he doesn't take better care of his animals, you will go to the top to put him out of business. Leave your name off of any of the printed material if you want. However all this should be done after the nice approach and some helpful care instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.