Strange Sleeping Behaviour

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mayo, Ireland
My tort Ned has always been prone to pulling yoga like poses. He does "salute to the sun"a couple times daily and "downward dog" esque manouvers occasionally but....Over the last 2 days i have noticed my Russian tort sleeping a number of times with one of his back legs up in the air. And i mean completely off the ground. Has anyone ever seen anything like this from their torts?

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Mayo, Ireland
I was actually on my way back to take one but he had put it down....i saw him lift it up into the air in his sleep too.... ill take a pic next time i catch him

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Darn! Tortoises, they always seem to know when we want pictures of them doing funny things & stop

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Mine, at the morning, will go out from the humid hide, and basking right under the lamp. When doing bask, he will have some weird leg strectching movement, one of them is raising his back leg up in the air and strecth out as far as possible.

Isabella13

Yes, my Hermanns tortoise does occasionally put one back leg in the air while he's sleeping, and I'm not quite sure why, but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Maybe they just like the feeling of stretching their legs out. :)