Stray tortoise update (Wisconsin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandarcat

5 Year Member
Okay, I got some more pictures of Sasha. We found her as a stray in our backyard a few weeks ago. I'm guessing we have an adult female Russian tortoise - anyone have another idea?

I have her set up in a 50 gallon Rubbermaid tote. The best thing I could find for a hidey spot is a dishpan with one side cut off - it's big enough for her to fit in and turn around inside (and sit on, obviously). Today I picked up a few tiles with a rough surface to put her food on. Actually, I've been putting her food in a binder clip and wedging it between a rock and the side of the container. I haven't been cutting up her greens (clover, dandelion, plantain, kale mostly) because she does fine with eating them and I figured it would help wear her beak down. The substrate is 2 coir bricks and about half as much sand mixed together. I'd like to find some bark or something a little less messy - any suggestions?

The weather here is still fairly warm so I've been putting her out in my fenced garden for an hour or two most afternoons. Today I was doing yard work so I let her walk around the backyard. She's pretty active! It's interesting to see what she eats when she has a choice - in my garden, she eats kale, dandelions (oops), a small underripe green pepper, a summer squash, the zucchini plant, a cherry tomato. In the yard she ate a mushroom, a small feather (?), dandelions, and was interested in a pumpkin but decided it was too big! Oh, and she LOVES squash blossoms.

I have been soaking her every 2 or 3 days for 20 minutes or so. I don't have water in her cage because it would just get filthy.

I only know one other person with a Russian so I don't have much experience, but I think she's pretty big...at least she's about 3x the size of the Russians at the pet store. Is there ANY way to make a guess on age?

I do plan to make her a bigger cage at some point, but for now this will have to do. At least she won't freeze outside when winter hits!

Attachments

• Tortoise (1).JPG
    Tortoise (1).JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Tortoise (2).JPG
    Tortoise (2).JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Tortoise (3).JPG
    Tortoise (3).JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Tortoise (4).JPG
    Tortoise (4).JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 112

chandarcat

5 Year Member
whisper said:
Did you try to find a possible owner?

I checked craigslist, the local paper, and the neighborhood for signs. The only lost tortoises on craigslist were 10+ miles away and much smaller than Sasha. I am guessing she was released - you know people do that.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
chandarcat said:
whisper said:
Did you try to find a possible owner?

I checked craigslist, the local paper, and the neighborhood for signs. The only lost tortoises on craigslist were 10+ miles away and much smaller than Sasha. I am guessing she was released - you know people do that.

Plus Russians especially are known for escaping and this time of year the owner might think she has just gone under ground. Glad your looking for the owner as you work on steps towards keeping her if it comes to that.

:D How far did she go with pumpkin interest? Did she try eating it? Bet that was cute to watch.

Is the substrate messy because it's too dry?

chandarcat

5 Year Member
:D How far did she go with pumpkin interest? Did she try eating it? Bet that was cute to watch.

No, she didn't try to eat it - just cocked her head to the side and looked UP at it, then decided to go elsewhere.

Is the substrate messy because it's too dry?

I don't think it's too dry - I've been misting it every few days and adding a couple cups of water and mixing it in maybe once a week.

Do you think I'm right that this is a female Russian? Is she fairly big or is that just my impression?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
She's good size; what does she weigh?

I would put a terra cotta planter base in as a water dish. Yes, she'll walk through it and get it dirty, but she will not care. When she needs water she needs it then; dehydration can cause other medical problems.

Having the water dish will also help keep the humidity up. And, if she gets overheated, the water will allow her to cool off. Lots of benefits to having water available at all times and no major detriments.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield, Ma
I found that I didn't like the coconut soil either. Like you said it was to messy. I thought the same thing. So what I learned is that you could you regular soil. NO pesticides or anything in it. Just regular soil. This has actually worked GREAT for me since I have changed over and I would NEVER change to anything else EVER. It is the best. That my option :)
She is cute though. I would turn her around for a second to take some photos. Then we could really tell you if she is really a she :p

Status
Not open for further replies.