Update/Questions about Ginger

GingerLove

5 Year Member
It is a little pricey but 90% of the 25 lb bag would go bad before I got to use it unfortunately. I purchased the first 18 oz bag back in December and I'll be out by the end of next month and it expires this coming November. Hope this helps, it is the big pellets too, not the small diet or small LS..I tried both of those and didn't have any luck.
That does help! So tell me, does it have instructions on the bag? Sorry if this sounds naive.:confused: I'm just not sure if I should soak them or what to do with the food before serving it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, a quick soak in water seems to make them more palatable. Not too much, or they will get mushy and not easily chomped on by your tort. You can soak a few and mix them in with other foods, they need little coaxing to eat up. Heres a pix of our sully with some dinner.

image.jpeg

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Yes, a quick soak in water seems to make them more palatable. Not too much, or they will get mushy and not easily chomped on by your tort. You can soak a few and mix them in with other foods, they need little coaxing to eat up. Heres a pix of our sully with some dinner.

View attachment 204583
What a big boy/girl! Beautiful! Thank you so much for the advice! I really appreciate it. I'm going to return this mazuri and look for your kind on the internet. We'll see if she eats it. She's been eating a little more often because it's getting a lot warmer. I hope this will have her eating on a regular schedule again! Thank you so much and I will keep you updated!:)

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
That does help! So tell me, does it have instructions on the bag? Sorry if this sounds naive.:confused: I'm just not sure if I should soak them or what to do with the food before serving it.

It doesn't but just do what Maro said above and that's all you need to do! :) there's no naive question!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I keep it in a hopper meant for dog food. It's not at all airtight, and sits for months. I've never seen it go "bad".
Keep it dry and cool. Once it gets wet, it will sour quickly.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I keep it in a hopper meant for dog food. It's not at all airtight, and sits for months. I've never seen it go "bad".
Keep it dry and cool. Once it gets wet, it will sour quickly.
Really? Interesting. A lot of times things last longer than the expiration date. I'll check it out and see what will save me the most money in the long run. Thank you! :)

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Try it out first, see if your tortie feels this same way about it that mine do
Ginger's pretty picky, so I have a feeling she's going to feel the same way. ;) Besides, plain ol' mazuri is probably healthier for her anyway. I'm gonna order me some mazuri!!! Thanks everybody!!! :D

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Really? Interesting. A lot of times things last longer than the expiration date. I'll check it out and see what will save me the most money in the long run. Thank you! :)
Here in the US we have FDA that makes very stringent rules for the length of shelf life of everything and anything. I typically do what we did before the governments told us how long we should keep our food items in our pantries- open the container and thoroughly visually inspect the product for any changes, then if it passes that test, I move on to employing my other senses like smell which has yet to fail me. Spoiled things typically smell like such. I also keep my cats and torts dry food in dark, cool, dry place, in those pet food containers from Petco that are not air tight at all. I think those pellets are made to be stored that way (easy for the consumer).

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Ginger's pretty picky, so I have a feeling she's going to feel the same way. ;) Besides, plain ol' mazuri is probably healthier for her anyway. I'm gonna order me some mazuri!!! Thanks everybody!!! :D
I don't know if Mazuri is healthier, it's hard to compare the ingredients without having a degree in nutrition/chemistry. Most of the ingredients listed on both labels there I can't even pronounce:)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I may very well be mistaken....But I've never noticed an expiration date on any of the bags.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I forgot to return Ginger's food, so I figured I'd give it a try since I still have it. She actually liked it! I didn't prepare it quiet right (It was kind of stiff because I didn't let it soak long enough) but she still liked it, so I think I'm going to try again tomorrow except I'll try to prepare it right. :)