Stress

brian.le02

Location (City and/or State)
Surprise Arizona
How do I know my tort is stressed? Sometimes when u pick him up he air runs and I try not to hold him for to long also I recently ACCIDENTALLY dropped him I felt terrible I don’t know how it happened but i didn’t see any cracks or chips on his shell ( I will be sure to update if I see anything) but it was only a drop of 3-5 inches from a tile it was hard he landed on his back I believe I immediately put him back into his enclosure and he acted fine but walked into his dark hide I’m sure he was scared is this something I should be worried about because I am very scared I damaged his brain or something he is only about 3 months old maybe 4 months
Can torts get concussions or something? Should I be worried???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They aren't that fragile. A drop from 3-4 inches is very unlikely to do any harm at all.

I like to transport them around in tubs so they can feel the "ground" under their feet. They don't like to be suspended in mid air, but its no big deal for a few seconds every once in a while. Tortoises, and especially sulcatas, are pretty resilient. Some species stress out more easily, but sulcatas tend to be pretty rough and tumble, so to speak.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree not that fragile. However, if you dont know how you dropped him might be smart to put him in a tub any time you lift him.

brian.le02

Surprise Arizona
Thank you this is my first time stopping and owning a tort so was very scary for me but there are no cracks or chips and he was eating and acts like nothing happened

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree with the above. He will be fine. They will hide when they are stressed. You will learn to be able to tell as you get to know your tortoise. I try to always put one hand underneath them, so they are not suspended. Helps prevent dropping as well.

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
I have started to put my guy on a folded dish towel as he has gotten bigger and doesn’t fit in my hand anymore. It has stopped his air walking I think he feels more secure with something under his feet. I put him in a tub to transport him outside :):tort: