SweetGreekTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
This tortoise appears to be a hybrid of some sort. The carapace coloring and markings are more like the Marginated Tortoise (they have darker shading around the scutes but lack the black dots in the middle of the scutes like the Greek and Hermann's species).

All 3 have very distinct plastron markings: The Greeks have random black blotches. The Hermann's have two black bands. The Marginated has black triangles.

Because this tortoise has no black markings on the plastron, that is what leaves me to believe it is a mix of the Marginated and another species.

Any pictures of the parents? That would shed a lot of light on identity. Based on the carapace I say one parent was a Marginated Tortoise. And since the Greeks can have a lot or a little with their plastron markings, perhaps the other parent was Testudo graeca terrestris/Mesopotamian (also called "Golden Greek").

hotrodmum57

england
This tortoise appears to be a hybrid of some sort. The carapace coloring and markings are more like the Marginated Tortoise (they have darker shading around the scutes but lack the black dots in the middle of the scutes like the Greek and Hermann's species).

All 3 have very distinct plastron markings: The Greeks have random black blotches. The Hermann's have two black bands. The Marginated has black triangles.

Because this tortoise has no black markings on the plastron, that is what leaves me to believe it is a mix of the Marginated and another species.

Any pictures of the parents? That would shed a lot of light on identity. Based on the carapace I say one parent was a Marginated Tortoise. And since the Greeks can have a lot or a little with their plastron markings, perhaps the other parent was Testudo graeca terrestris/Mesopotamian (also called "Golden Greek").
Thanks for getting back I have no idea on parents but her cites certificate says she is a spur thigh which had me confused as she has no spurs or markings on her plastron.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Thanks for getting back I have no idea on parents but her cites certificate says she is a spur thigh which had me confused as she has no spurs or markings on her plastron.

Definitely not a pure "spur-thigh." The Marginated, Greek, and Hermann's can all look the same to untrained eyes. This tortoise is definitely a mix of 2 different species. It is a mediterranean tortoise, so the care is the same.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
100% a hybrid between 2 different types Testudo graeca. There’d be no way to be sure of the exact make up without DNA testing.

hotrodmum57

england
100% a hybrid between 2 different types Testudo graeca. There’d be no way to be sure of the exact make up without DNA testing.
Thanks for your reply which makes things more confusing. I know its not meant like that. As @SweetGreekTorts is sure one parent was a marginated

Is it an agree to disagree thing or are one of you more knowledgeable?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not saying anything against SweetGreekTorts, because I often refer threads like this to her and I appreciate her knowledge on this subject, however, HermanniChris is the GO TO guy when it comes to the Mediterranean species of tortoises. You can take what he says to the bank. It's a Greek tortoise!!

hotrodmum57

england
I'm not saying anything against SweetGreekTorts, because I often refer threads like this to her and I appreciate her knowledge on this subject, however, HermanniChris is the GO TO guy when it comes to the Mediterranean species of tortoises. You can take what he says to the bank. It's a Greek tortoise!!
brilliant thank you for clearing my confusion on the matter.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ

I agree. I'm still learning a lot from Chris himself, and he's got much more experience than I do. I'm glad he was able to chime and I would trust his insight.