Submersible

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
I just wonder if you guys are obsessed like I am over the horrible situation happening now with the lost submersible Titan, and the five people inside. I can't at this point see any possibility that they have or will be saved. It's very sad.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, not obsessed. Not enough updates on it on my news anyway. From my understanding though, as of this morning, they had about a day of oxygen left and some sort of sonare was picking up noise from an area they could be.
If they were smart, they could conserve oxygen and hopefully extend it long enough to be saved if saved soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of my worst nightmares! I'm not a big fan of water and I can't imagine the terror they're going through. Like you said, there's just not enough info coming through to offer any opinions

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I love water, and the ocean especially, but I would not gladly go on any deep underwater trips, no matter how safe they said it is. I am not fond of being locked in small spaces!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
From everything I have heard I think they are gone. If so, I hope it was quick.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've been praying for them to be found and helped. I've seen several newscasts on it and I think everyone that's seen those are praying for a miracle. And the people trying to help them are too. It's a very technical rescue if it can be done.🙏 so I'll keep praying.

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm not too hopeful about their chances as they've been missing since Sunday and are nearing the end of the sub's life support capabilities.

I read that the company tried to save money on safety features, including viewing ports not rated to the depths they planned to visit.

Submarine Tourism Company Owner: "They say there's no such thing as bad press."

Everyone on Earth, thinking about freezing to death (or asphyxiating) in the dark, or possibly being crushed to the size of a walnut by the incalculable pressure of the volume of water overhead: "ummmmm...."

Fingers crossed, but not with much hope.

Jamie

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
On our little bit of news we are getting, there is still hope they are alive as they are picking up pounding noises. They say there is enough oxygen until tomorrow morning.
I am seeing all the news reports from BBC, CNN but of course, who knows what the truth really is...for example, suppose the oxygen tank was not filled right up and it's already finished? Stuff like that can happen and who would ever know? But still, of course the great effort has to be made, just in the now unlikely hope that they are still alive and can be saved!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I pretty much lost hope for them to survive when I heard a couple days ago that even if they made it to the surface they are unable to open it from the inside to get out. But Miracles do and have happened when all hope has been given up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am seeing all the news reports from BBC, CNN but of course, who knows what the truth really is...for example, suppose the oxygen tank was not filled right up and it's already finished? Stuff like that can happen and who would ever know? But still, of course the great effort has to be made, just in the now unlikely hope that they are still alive and can be saved!
Yes, unfortunately the news doesn't have to be accurate any more. Fact checking by them is a thing of the past.
Let's just hope they are still alive and they make it. We won't know until they finally bring the sub up.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I pretty much lost hope for them to survive when I heard a couple days ago that even if they made it to the surface they are unable to open it from the inside to get out. But Miracles do and have happened when all hope has been given up.
I feel the same. Even if they find it there's not many vehicles that can get it to the surface. They can't open it until it's on the surface. Hopefully it's found on the surface or not deep. I've seen that scenario on the news too. So there's hope then. But that's in such a large area the rescuers are working night and day to try and spot them. I'm praying for a miracle. Those little children that survived lost in the jungle lately tells me Miracles do happen. Let's hope.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I'm not too hopeful about their chances as they've been missing since Sunday and are nearing the end of the sub's life support capabilities.

I read that the company tried to save money on safety features, including viewing ports not rated to the depths they planned to visit.

Submarine Tourism Company Owner: "They say there's no such thing as bad press."

Everyone on Earth, thinking about freezing to death (or asphyxiating) in the dark, or possibly being crushed to the size of a walnut by the incalculable pressure of the volume of water overhead: "ummmmm...."

Fingers crossed, but not with much hope.

Jamie
I agree. You just don't know what's going on really...so you can't evaluate the risk you may be taking.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
At least Imploding is quick. Those poor people not having enough oxygen was driving me crazy. I know what that feels like at times. I woke up late and missed the sad news. I'm glad they found them. And know what happened.