Substrate change with questions and pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I changed the substrate to half Apsen and the other peat moss/organic. Do I keep the hides on the dry side? I posted pictures.. the boy Aragon is in the cave I made with rock. He loves it. I have the night warmer above Arwen's hide(log)in the dry zone. Will this be okay for the baby? The humidity is at 60. the hot spot on the other side is about 95-100. The night warmer creates 85.Do I need to wet the peat moss?? Let me know if I should change the set up. Also does anyone know plants I can plant in the peat moss? Ty Kel

Attachments

• photo-57.JPG
    photo-57.JPG
    485.8 KB · Views: 41
  • photo-58.JPG
    photo-58.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 24
  • photo-61.JPG
    photo-61.JPG
    413.7 KB · Views: 20

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It's usually good to have a hiding spot that is dry and one that retains some moisture in the substrate below it. But they should both be in the cooler area away from the basking light. 60% ambient humidity is pretty good for most Greek subspecies, anywhere within a 50-70% range usually works. The basking area directly under the light should be about 95-105 degrees. Night time temperature of 85 is really too warm. 60-70 would be a bit better.

goldie

5 Year Member
California
Thanks! So should I move the night lamp away from their hides. The baby is so small I am afraid it will get cold(size of a quarter). I never noticed but she has a split scute..will that effect Arwen's health? Sorry I am just fixated on their health. lol

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
As long as the ambient temperature in the room is above 60 (65ish better) at night there should be no need for a night time heat source. If the temperature is colder than the low 60's at night in the room then a night time heat source is a good idea. But even then it should only keep the temperature at 60-70 degrees, not hotter than that.

The split scute is only cosmetic and will not affect your tortoise's health is anyway.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I usually mist the peat moss and mix it around every other day. If you don't the spot under the light will get dry. For the hides I have two. Ones a log that is on the hot side but not directly under the light, it's also my non-humid hide. They usually nap or just chill out in that hide during the day. My other hide is a cave like thing that I keep on the cool side and it's humid. I put a little more peat moss in this hide then anywhere else in the cage because it's where they sleep at night so the burrow in it. I also have sphagnum moss in it because it's really absorbent and keeps it humid.

Status
Not open for further replies.