Substrate for sulcta

Wayne06

Location (City and/or State)
Lake orion
I've recently upgraded my guys habbit to roughly the aixs of a twin size bed. And I'm wondering what a good choice for a substitute would be. Buying the zoo med stuff is just to pricy. Especially for the size of his bed now. I would like there to be enough for him to be able to to burrow a little

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fine grade orchid bark. Buy it in bulk at garden centers or nurseries. Also called "fir bark".

I get mine for $10.95 for a 2.0 cu. ft. bag:
Orchid Bark.JPG

jjrojo08

Muscat
i've got the same subs as yours Tom. But i'm planning to add this subs to my habitat. is this okay to add?

Attachments

• terrano_red_bark.jpg
    terrano_red_bark.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 37

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom,

Do you do only this as a substrate or do you do any mixture?
Only orchid bark. No need and no reason to mix anything in. I use the orchid bark to avoid all the problems of other alternatives, so mixing those in wouldn't make any sense.

RoboRob

San Diego, CA
Only orchid bark. No need and no reason to mix anything in. I use the orchid bark to avoid all the problems of other alternatives, so mixing those in wouldn't make any sense.

Thanks Tom. Any suggestions as to how deep?

RoboRob

San Diego, CA
Much appreciated. Now to just locate this stuff. I found some orchid bark at Home Depot, but it is medium in size. Do I need something smaller than that?

RoboRob

San Diego, CA
Nevermind, I just found the same exact bag you posted (GreenAll - Micro Bark) at the local Armstrong Garden Center here in San Diego. Thanks again for all your wisdom. It is only $10.99 for 2 cu ft! I have so much to learn being a beginner to the sulcata world and I am so happy I came across this forum. You all are awesome!