Substrate? I need how many bags?

seanbaker1

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, California
I'm prepping a 4x8 enclosure, is it OK to use bark only? Or should there be a layer of coco coir underneath? This is for a baby aldabra.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Hmm, homedepot.com says:

Out of Stock
This item is unavailable online and in stores.

At least in my area (southern cal).

Same for eucalyptus mulch.
I don't think I've ever seen it out of stock here. Check Lowe's. I think with you being in California you might find some orchid back at the local farm/plant nursery stores.

seanbaker1

Tortoise Club
Chino, California
Armstrong Garden Center has this in stock in my area. Looks similar to what @Tom posted earlier in this thread. Would this be OK?

1725650912403.png

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I couldn't find what tree that bark was made out of. You want to avoid pine bark since it can emit toxic fumes. Fir bark/orchard bark is the best.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Armstrong Garden Center has this in stock in my area. Looks similar to what @Tom posted earlier in this thread. Would this be OK?

View attachment 378604
Read the ingredients on the back.

seanbaker1

Tortoise Club
Chino, California
A local landscape supply has mimi bark which is red fir. The medium bark is douglas fir and looks too big.

Any difference between red fir bark and douglas fir bark?

zovick

10 Year Member!

View attachment 378604
Looking further on the Dr. Earth web site I found the info below the last bullet point of which makes me think that this product would be fine for you to use:

"Dr. Earth® Micro Bark nuggets are processed by large custom machines designed to calibrate a consistent size and color of all bark products. This ground cover helps keep moisture in the soil while keeping unwanted weeds away by blocking out sunlight. Dr. Earth® Micro Bark nuggets are a true “Premium” nugget that are double screened for consistency which provides the best-looking bark nuggets for the highest quality gardens. This versatile bark, which naturally acts as a mulch, can be used in vegetable or ornamental gardens to protect, beautify and add style to new and existing landscaping.

• Conserves soil moisture & suppresses weed growth
  • Helps to minimize soil crusting & ground erosion
  • Insulates plants from extreme hot & cold temperatures
  • No chemicals, no artificial dyes, and no additives"
That bullet point is most likely also why the ingredient list only says "Bark".

I would get this and stop worrying about all those other products you can't find in your area.

To do a 4' x 8' area, you would probably need 3 to 5 bags, depending upon how deep you want to make it. I think 5 bags would give you about a 6" depth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The back says:

Ingredients: Bark

So that answers that, lol!
It looks good to me, I’d buy a bag and try it out. Put some in a container and put some feeder insects in the container over night. Canary in a coal mine sort of thing. If the bugs don’t die, I’d be willing to use it on my tortoises. I use two bags for a 3x8, and sometimes break open a third for more depth. 3 full bags should get a 4x8 done. No reason you couldn’t use more if you wanted to,

What does it cost per bag? The stuff I get is $12, but your stuff looks cleaner.

seanbaker1

Tortoise Club
Chino, California
It looks good to me, I’d buy a bag and try it out. Put some in a container and put some feeder insects in the container over night. Canary in a coal mine sort of thing. If the bugs don’t die, I’d be willing to use it on my tortoises. I use two bags for a 3x8, and sometimes break open a third for more depth. 3 full bags should get a 4x8 done. No reason you couldn’t use more if you wanted to,

What does it cost per bag? The stuff I get is $12, but your stuff looks cleaner.
Forgiveness my ignorance, feeder insects?