SUDAN SULCATAS: HEY TOM! CHECK OUT THE SWIMMING SUDANS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Of course, everyone is invited! Last week I acquired two more of the Sudans from Tom! His others are enormous, so we decided it would be a good idea to let his smaller two join mine!

This is one I got from Tom. Though smaller than the other's Tom has, we're still talking 4.25" and 240 grams at 8 months.
23wmiz9.jpg

This is the other one from Tom...a little smaller at 4.25" and 202 grams.
10o4cvt.jpg

This is the largest of mine and he's 4.5" and tips the scales at 245 grams...that's a 10 gram gain since Tom's arrived.
332b5zs.jpg

Finally, these last two are the smallest (surviving) animals. The first is 3" and weighs 96 gram, while the second remains a diminutive 2.5" and 62 grams...aren't they cute.
29vjeqr.jpg

6o1pbp.jpg

Note...I left out the middle two as they were boring and didn't photograph well!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
But, they don't really look like they're enjoying the swim. They looked stress, perhaps because they aren't meant to swim? Didn't Tom insist that torts don't swim? But, they are beautiful and look soooo cute.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I actually think they look very comfortable in the water. Don't look stressed to me at all. Nice pics, great looking torts.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
sibi said:
Didn't Tom insist that torts don't swim?

Nope! In fact, we have a running bet that his Daisy (who has grown immensely over the past year), may or may not be able to still swim!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Very nice Dean! First time I have seen them swim! I think Cooper would sink like a boulder!

Rambo

5 Year Member
Southern California
Sulcatas can swim?????THE HECK??????? thats news to me, i wonder if leopards can swim?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
WOW! I'd like to see that! Tom, does Daisy still swim? Should members who have sullies put them in pools to swim?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Rambo said:
Sulcatas can swim?????THE HECK??????? thats news to me, i wonder if leopards can swim?

They float. All of the tortoises that I have placed in deep water have all floated.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Neal said:
Rambo said:
Sulcatas can swim?????THE HECK??????? thats news to me, i wonder if leopards can swim

They float. All of the tortoises that I have placed in deep water have all floated.

I am to big of a chicken to try that with Cooper, Ophelia is so small I would consider it maybe.?.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Beautiful babies :)

My biggest one Moe does a great impression of a cork and puts his feet out behind him and floats in his bath when I soak him :p silly turtle :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Two things I forgot to mention! When I said I acquired the first two, I mean Tom gave them to me...that's how generous he is! Also, depth perception be a *****! The water is about 10" deep!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Tom is a good guy! And you are too Dean! Hope someday I can make it back to California to possibly get to meet some of you out there. My wife has family in Riverside and around that area. Whats the biggest tortoise you have had swim by the way?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
They dont look stressed at all to me! They look like they are having so much fun! They are so cute and look so happy! :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think there's only one or two pics where I see their eye bug out: Pic #1 & 3. I mean, when my sullies are spooked, their eyes look like that. Look guys, if they look relaxed & happy to you, that's fine. I hope they truly are. But, since I can't speak sully, I can't be too sure, that's all :-D Does anyone know if Tom got home yet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My desert tortoises don't float.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I like both the smallest ones color more.

Dean, it might be due to the water or camera angle, but don't you think pic no 1 and 2, especially no 1 is slightly pyramided?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Yellow Turtle said:
I like both the smallest ones color more.

Dean, it might be due to the water or camera angle, but don't you think pic no 1 and 2, especially no 1 is slightly pyramided?

I also see some pyramiding starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.