SUDAN SULCATAS: HEY TOM! CHECK OUT THE SWIMMING SUDANS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom.. I believe I saw the same picture your referencing (with the sulcatas in a lg man made pond).. But they looked like they were standing..

If I remember correctly when things float the disperse there weight in water when they sink they disperse there volume..

So there must be a mathematical equation to determine buoyancy... Based on foot print and mass..

Any human abacuses here;)

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
Dean, it's great to see pics of your sulcatas, I haven't been active on this forum for a while and I've been wondering how they were doing. They look so happy and healthy, and wow have they grown. Sorry if I'm off topic.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
DeanS said:
5yx3l.jpg

wow!!! i love it! gorgeous!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I tend to agree with you. It has always been a concern of mine because if an inexperienced tort owner gets the impression that it's okay, and leaves their tort in a pool, the tort will drown if there's no way for him to get out. On the other hand, IF you put your tort in a pool to see him swim, but you remove him after a short while, it could be very enjoyable (not necessarily for the tort) to you. Afterall, it isn't natural for torts to swim, even if they can float! I know my torts don't know what I'm doing, or if they feel safe, and get real stressed. Is it because it's something unnatural for them?

emysemys said:
But!!!! This is still no reason to have tortoises in a back yard that has an unfenced in-the-ground-swimming pool. Tortoises can't swim forever, and just like a dog that falls in the pool, will eventually tire and drown.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I play 'sink or float?' with my kids... never thought of including my tortoises in the experiment! (probably still won't), but how fun to learn this fun fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.