sulcata diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

grooby

5 Year Member
hello guys! im looking to expand my 1 1/2 year old sully Grooby's diet. Id greatly appreciate it if you guys can tell me what you feed yours exactly, how often, etc. And please specify where you get your items from, it would really help me out. I really would like to know where i can purchase grass, and what kind to plant in my garden to give him more of a selection, as well as flowers, vegetables, etc. Thanks for the help guys!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You can get spring mix from Costco. Santa Barbara mix from Smart and Final.

Seed mixes from tortoisesupply.com and Carolina Pet Supply. Both forum sponsers, both sell a good product.

Pasture mixes from Peaceful Valley Farms. These are mostly grass and very easy to grow in pots or on the ground. I started mine in the spring and have filled a five gallon bucket with cut fresh grass more than dozen times already.

Mulberry leaves anywhere.

Spineless opuntia cactus can be grown from cuttings that you get from people near you, or you can order pads online and grow it your self. Very easy in pots or the ground. Or you can buy it at any Mexican style grocery store.

I grow my own grapevines, hibiscus, rose of Sharon, clover, alfalfa, endive, arugula, squashes, gazanias, African Hibiscus, etc...

You can get grass hays from any feed store. I like the Bermuda grass hay and the orchard grass hay too.

Also at tortoisesupply.com is a product called "Salad Style". It is basically shredded orchard grass hay and Timothy hay that you can sprinkle over grocery store foods to add much needed fiber. It's good stuff.

Also, learn how to ID your local weeds that are from safe sources. You can post pics here, or take samples to the local nursery. They will help you and so will we.

Finally, I like to feed some Mazuri twice a week. This can be ordered online. ZooMed Grassland Tortoise food is good to add to the mix also...

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:
You can get spring mix from Costco. Santa Barbara mix from Smart and Final.

Seed mixes from tortoisesupply.com and Carolina Pet Supply. Both forum sponsers, both sell a good product.

Pasture mixes from Peaceful Valley Farms. These are mostly grass and very easy to grow in pots or on the ground. I started mine in the spring and have filled a five gallon bucket with cut fresh grass more than dozen times already.

Mulberry leaves anywhere.

Spineless opuntia cactus can be grown from cuttings that you get from people near you, or you can order pads online and grow it your self. Very easy in pots or the ground. Or you can buy it at any Mexican style grocery store.

I grow my own grapevines, hibiscus, rose of Sharon, clover, alfalfa, endive, arugula, squashes, gazanias, African Hibiscus, etc...

You can get grass hays from any feed store. I like the Bermuda grass hay and the orchard grass hay too.

Also at tortoisesupply.com is a product called "Salad Style". It is basically shredded orchard grass hay and Timothy hay that you can sprinkle over grocery store foods to add much needed fiber. It's good stuff.

Also, learn how to ID your local weeds that are from safe sources. You can post pics here, or take samples to the local nursery. They will help you and so will we.

Finally, I like to feed some Mazuri twice a week. This can be ordered online. ZooMed Grassland Tortoise food is good to add to the mix also...

Hey Tom! I tried out that grass you gave me and mixed it with the lettuce and he ate it!

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
I planted some wild bird seed last week that I bought from Walmart and my Sully loves it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.