Sulcata enclosure help…

Clairemarie

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
Hi! Y’all helped me set up my first enclosure so I’m back for more advice. I have a 2 year old 7lb sulcata. We live in middle Tennessee, just south of Nashville. Currently we have our tortoise outside all day in a 32’ x 17’ grass/weeded area. At night we take him inside. He has outgrown his enclosure. We are planning on making him a permanent set up outside where he will have lots of heated space for winters as well as more space to roam. However, this may not be completed in time for the start of winter. I would like to upgrade his Animal Plastic enclosure just to be safe. I am looking at the 96” by 48” one. So here are my questions. What should the ideal height be? Also I am looking at a Vivarium RHP- how many watts should it be to go along with recommended height? And lastly what size/model Reptisun hood for UV should I get for this size enclosure. Thank you so much for all your advice!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi! Y’all helped me set up my first enclosure so I’m back for more advice. I have a 2 year old 7lb sulcata. We live in middle Tennessee, just south of Nashville. Currently we have our tortoise outside all day in a 32’ x 17’ grass/weeded area. At night we take him inside. He has outgrown his enclosure. We are planning on making him a permanent set up outside where he will have lots of heated space for winters as well as more space to roam. However, this may not be completed in time for the start of winter. I would like to upgrade his Animal Plastic enclosure just to be safe. I am looking at the 96” by 48” one. So here are my questions. What should the ideal height be? Also I am looking at a Vivarium RHP- how many watts should it be to go along with recommended height? And lastly what size/model Reptisun hood for UV should I get for this size enclosure. Thank you so much for all your advice!
How long is the tortoise? I know grams or length in inches. I don't move to pounds until they are around 30-50 pounds, so I don't have a mental reference for how long a 7 pound tortoise is.

Height of the enclosure can be anywhere between 24 and 48 inches.

Wattage needed to heat it depends on several factors, including room temp and how much ventilation there is. I'd get two of the 120 watt ones if you can make them fit. Because they are controlled by a thermostat, the enclosure won't over heat, but conversely, if you don't have enough wattage, the heaters will run all night and never get warm enough. For comparison, I have an 8x3x2 foot tall Smart Enclosure in my garage. It has two 80 watt VE RHPs, and I still have to run an additional 150 CHE in winter to keep it over 80 degrees. My garage typically drops as low as 55 degrees when it occasionally drops below freezing outside on a cold winter night.

I'd get an Arcadia HO tube for UV. Much stronger than the other brands. Length doesn't matter. 22 inches is fine and 46 inches is fine.